NFO Drifter

Joni

Reaction score
I have always wanted a Drift Boat but storage is a pain. We had a 14' Aluminum which I just sold.
With that money, I bought the NFO Drifter. It is 14' long with the drop stitch floor like a SUP. It weighs around 89 lbs so two people can carry this.
We got to use it this last weekend in Idaho. It was shallow and slow moving water but we got the feel for this boat. We skated over 2" of water. I got to row and I absolutely love it.
We are hooked! want to take baby steps however, so it will be the easier waters to get started. I am dying to float the Green.
We did have one day float while in Idaho that brought back the old Harley days. Total down pour with marble sized hail! Baxter hid under a PFD, but there was an inch of water in the boat from all the rain (self bailing when the sun came out)
I truly feel I have been missing out on a wonderful aspect of fishing. I just wish we had more big rivers closer.
OH, did I mention, this whole boat fit in the back of my Grand Vitara!

Plus there is a Frame in the works similar to the Dragonfly XT

dakotakid

Reaction score
Looks like a fun option. Is it as stable to stand in as it looks?

Possible down-side is that it might be hard to control in wind because it rides so high in the water. But then if it's real windy, you probably aren't fly fishing anyway.

Thanks for sharing photos!

Joni

Reaction score
Thanks. Very comfortable and easy to stand. Room for slight changes which i am sure the frame will address. Like, a little higher row seat for hubby. Front seat would be nice a little higher, and a little standing support.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Looks like a fun option. Is it as stable to stand in as it looks?

Possible down-side is that it might be hard to control in wind because it rides so high in the water. But then if it's real windy, you probably aren't fly fishing anyway.

Thanks for sharing photos!

It was very windy the day of the storm. This tracked very well. Literally sitting on top the water. As for stable, we both sat on the same side and the boat barely tilted. Very stable. Four air chambers on top, and the the heavy duty floor. Very buoyant.
Have not tried it on stillwater, but I am sure we will. Plus it will accept the NFO motor mount.

mojo

Reaction score
The boat has a self bailing floor in it. The floor insert is dropstiched like Joni said and it's 6" thick. You pump the main boat up halfway, put the floor in, inflate it to 10 lb. then finish pumping the boat to 3 lbs. Now the floor is swedged in tight. It's very stable......
Super easy to row to.

Joni

Reaction score
I bought the 2 stage pump also and with it the hole boat (all four chambers and the floor) takes about 5 minutes. But even our little LVM pumped it up, we just had to top it off by hand.

Joni

Reaction score
It could haul four or five easy. But, our friends bought the Dragonfly XT which is the smaller version and a 2 person with possibility of more children.
Funny, I hated our Aluminum boat but I am so excited out this one. We have a nice Minn Kota 55 Maximizer I can't wait to try.

Joni

Reaction score
And so does he...LOL

And with the ween looking out for fish, it was GREAT

J

james w 3 3

It never ceases to amaze me how many dogs you see on fishing boats.

Thing is, everybody always looks happy too!

:icon_bigg

Joni

Reaction score
In my case, one dog and many different fishing boats...and you wonder "why" I am smiling? LOL

To name a few. The Fuzion might be the only pup free as it does get wet.

tex

Reaction score
I am always nervous about inflatables because I can envision a bad cast into the wind causing a hook up with the side of the boat. How do you go about preventing this from happening?

Joni

Reaction score
Always a possibility for sure. I have bounced flies off the sides before but never stuck one in it. May sound funny but I feel much safer now with the bladderless. There is several layers of material, one being Kevlar.
I have caught a hook on a seam and had to go to shore to free it, but no damage.
Now my body is a different topic....LOL