The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Stillwater Fly Fishing

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 04:03 PM

adrider83 is on a distinguished road
Default Alpine Lakes - Summer

Is a chironomid nymph rig still a good approach at this piont in the summer for alpine lakes, or is it more of a spring-time thing? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Alpine Lakes - Summer

Welcome to the forum adrider.

They are still working in our ponds but I hardly think there is a place in Connecticut that anyone would call "Alpine".

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 08-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Business Member

Flygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to beholdFlygrain is a splendid one to behold

In lake where Chironomids are present, they are in there and a major food source for fish 12 months out of the year. Even in lakes that freeze over.

The important thing for anglers is to be aware of the size, which does change from one season to the next. A good searching fly is a bright red Chiro with a white of silver bead head, fished a foot off the bottom. Every lake is a little different, but in the hotter months I would focus in 10-15' of water and look for open mud/sand/marl bottom amongst aquatic vegetation.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl
Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM

adrider83 is on a distinguished road

Great! Thank you for the warm welcome, and for the tips. I've mainly been fishing the front range rivers since moving to Denver this spring...but my cousin is visiting, so I thought some lake fishing might be in order, so he can throw a cast master and do some low key fishing.

Anyone have tips on good lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park or Indian Peaks wilderness? I was thinking Lost Lake of Rainbow Lakes, but I don't now much.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely nymph in alpine lakes. My favorite is fishing. Beetle or humpy/wulff or other bushy dry pattern. Love surface take though tend to be smaller fish
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Chironomids (midges) are an all year food source.

You'll want to try some different colors.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 AM

gotmilk is on a distinguished road

Some good info on this site. Fly Fishing Rocky Mountain National Park