The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Stillwater Fly Fishing

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 06:56 PM

wr1nkles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Go to stillwater trout patterns

Would it be bad to use say, a size 16 zebra midge in Stillwater? Is that just too small of a hook for bigger water. Where as a bigger streamer you can move around and cover more water quicker?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 AM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr1nkles View Post
Would it be bad to use say, a size 16 zebra midge in Stillwater? Is that just too small of a hook for bigger water. Where as a bigger streamer you can move around and cover more water quicker?
I've done that when the fish are being super tight-lipped and if there's a decent breeze. usually that means a cold front or a high pressure system has moved in.

If the water's calm, it can work, but it's dead nuts boring. You can sit there for an hour waiting in one place, watching your bobber or whatever go nowhere.

You can sometimes get a strike under those conditions if you very gently and very slowly walk the midge back to you, with lots of longish pauses. At least you're doing something, and you're covering some water.

But if the fish are biting at all, you're better off either stripping something bigger back to you subsurface, or even stripping terrestrials. the main idea about fishing lakes is covering fishy water efficiently until you find a pod of them.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-25-2017, 09:26 AM

tpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of light

I don't usually fish midges that small on Stillwater (I usually fish #12/14 midge patterns) but I've seen guys do well fishing #16-20's under indicators. The technique I'd suggest is to trail a small fly about 18-24" behind a small, lightly weighted/ unweighted bugger/leech and move them very slowly, with a lot of pauses, with an intermediate sinking / int sink tip line. I had a day last fall where all the fish I caught were on the small trailing fly. While I can't say for sure, I think the bugger acted as the attractor fly but when the fish investigate the smaller trailer looks more natural and closes the deal. Good luck.

Tom