The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Stillwater Fly Fishing

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM

cduff is on a distinguished road
Default Go to stillwater trout patterns

what are your go to patterns??
Ive been skunked the past couple days and my tried and true patterns seem to have lost their touch with the recent damsel action going on at the local lakes. while I'm stocking up on damsels i thought ild see what your thoughts are and see if i can add a new line up to the box! Thanks!

My front 5:
#10 brown wooly bugger with gold flash
#8 Zonked out leech without foam
Stimulator
Red zebra midge
Para Adams
Old 06-23-2015, 06:41 AM

cochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond reputecochise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go to stillwater trout patterns

Renegade and captain.
mcnerney and jeepster II like this.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

90% of the time I'm fishing a very simple fly with no name, little more than a thin marabou tail using the spindliest marabou barbs, and a matching small dubbed body. Sometimes with a couple wraps of J Fair short shuck at the head.
Black or dark brown usually.
In the water it's very lively, buggy looking, it's unweighted. I believe it's that lively movement that's critical.

(I'm on my iPad and can't add a photo, but if you're really curious pm me your email address and I can send you photos.)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Where I was fishing just recently there was a strong dragon fly hatch
After I figured it out, I literately caught dozens of trout on a fly called a Kennebago Muddler.
Basically it's a Hornberg with a muddler head
With dragon fly and damsel nymphs, the fish expect to see them swimming toward shore.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Most of my lake fishing is done on the East slope of the Sierra Nevada range. I use a lot of different patterns including soft hackles, damsels, dragons, ant patterns, beetles, caddis patterns, midges, Callibaetis, scuds, water boatmen, snail patterns,leech patterns, baitfish and attractors...Here are a few that work for me:

Sheep Creek Special

K.G.'s Spring Creek Special (scud)...Hey Kelly, where's the 2.0 version of this?

Stayner Ducktail...

UPGRADED PUNK PERCH...

HONEYBUN...

SH PT / Partridge & Peacock...

...almost anything that this guy ties works in the lakes we frequent:

www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fish Stillwaters

PT/TB
mcnerney, stenacron, tpo and 2 others like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 06-23-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:09 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

This list is fluid depending on the location (lowland/mud bottom versus alpine/rock bottom), time of year, and insect activity... but all things being equal, and without contributing factors like hatch activity, my list would probably be:
-1) PT Chironomid (olive/red rib)
-2) Smoky/olive Scud
-3) Rickard's Callibaetis Nymph
-4) Mity Mouse (beadhead)
-5) Rickard's Stillwater Nymph

Time of day has an effect as well. Early morning it will be scuds and/or chironomids to start. Later in the day The Rickard's nymphs are tough to beat.

Noses poking through the surface changes everything of course... had a lot of fun yesterday casting to cruising fish with a #16 yellow Comparamerger.

FWIW - Here's my primary stillwater box... more often than not my answers are found herein (although I do carry other boxes as well).

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of

Don't see anything wrong with the OP's list; any of those should catch fish.

My list, as usual, is a bit left field:

Pink hoppers (spring)
Yellow or brown hoppers
orange rubber-legged stimulator
PMX
BWO
PMD
Blue dun

Magnum purple simi seal leech with and w/o a beadhead
Brown with green flash bugger
Olive damsel nymph
Tunghead hares ear
Prince nymph

My usual set up, especially on new water, is a hopper/dropper. So if I went fishing with you tomorrow I'd probably rig a yellow hopper and tie a damsel nymph or a hares ear 2 ft. below it. Of course, actual weather and water conditions would affect my final choices, but most of the time a hopper /dropper set up is effective for me.

Peace.
mcnerney likes this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-24-2015, 02:44 PM

cduff is on a distinguished road

Quite the lists! Thanks guys! great looking flies
Old 06-24-2015, 07:33 PM

j1973s will become famous soon enough

I like the following:
Various wooly buggers, especially in kind of an off (blood) red or black. Use a bead head 90% of the time
Prince nymph bead head or not
Soft hackle in #14 or #16
Zug Bug
Various small streamers in #12 or 10. Mickey fin, Little brook trout, grey ghost or bomber
Am now using midge nymph patterns more and more. I fish them straight down, usually close to the bottom. Saw Phil Rowley at the Denver fly show and a light went on for me.
Regarding dries, usually something black or dark. Amazingly, trout regularly smash a big stimulator or Royal Wulff when twitched after you leave it motionless for a bit.
Recommend reading some of the books by Peter Lapsley the English author. Many more trout fishers fish still water than streams in the UK and they seem to have still waters down to a science.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:19 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

You'll shake out the patterns eventually. FWIW, my one (generally) sound bit of still water advice is to always fish under a foam line if the wind is making them.
mcnerney and stenacron like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey