The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Stillwater Fly Fishing

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 01:46 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gotta Love When a Plan Comes Together

I've been taking advantage of this unseasonably mild weather with repeated trips to the same reservoir. Had a couple hours to kill this morning so I hit it up again and everything fell into place.

Showed up at 8:30a to a stiff NE breeze blowing down lake. So I made a beeline to an abrupt shoreline contour that juts sharply out into the main lake and started drifting chironomids about 8 ft below an indicator... bang, bang, bang action on nearly every cast as the fish were packed in there.

30 minutes later the breeze died and abruptly took the bite with it. Wrapped up and went right into "Yeti stride" for the upper end of the lake. As I rounded the bend I could see rise rings and knew I made the right move.

Switched over to a combination of AP Emerger and Prego Scud and started a slow, short strip retrieve with a 6-count in between strips. Hit a fish on the first cast and so it went until about 10:30a when the fish moved out of casting range.

Just one of those days with almost zero wasted fishing time. Wish they could all be like this.

Let the action begin! The perfect "chironomid chop"... confidence is high under these conditions.
Click the image to open in full size.

Best fish of the morning on the AP Emerger... just shy of 18 inches and fat!

Fish were bright and full of fight today. Fun to watch in the flat, clear water.

Another real solid fish... couldn't pass up the Prego Scud.

One of my favorite flies... Denny Rickards A.P. (all purpose) Emerger... always double check the fly box before a trip to make sure I've got a couple tied up.

The Prego Scud... fish have a definite preference for them over my standard scud patterns, especially in the Fall.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 11-11-2016, 02:22 PM

kentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant futurekentuckysteve has a brilliant future
Default Re: Gotta Love When a Plan Comes Together

Beautiful fish.Congrats on the great day! I love days like that.
jaybo41, hairwing530 and stenacron like this.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joe

Great trip report, photos and fish, congrats!
jaybo41, hairwing530 and stenacron like this.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Joe, that looks like a killer day to be on the water! Your trip report and the photos confirm that indeed it was a great day! Congrats on the successful outing and thanks for taking time to post the report.

P.S. the flies look great. I'm going to need to read up on this AP Emerger. I'm a fan of synthetics and often use Peacock Ice Dub but there's something really fishy about the real deal. Any fly with hurl in it, and for that matter natural feathers, always have a place in my boxes. Well done sir!
hairwing530 and stenacron like this.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Trade Member

Piscifunreels will become famous soon enoughPiscifunreels will become famous soon enough

Nice fish. A great trip
stenacron likes this.

Let's get reels wet on the water
Follow us on Facebook
Old 11-13-2016, 08:37 PM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

P.S. the flies look great. I'm going to need to read up on this AP Emerger.
Thanks.

Any pattern by Denny Rickards is a proven winner. He was a fantastic approach to pattern development... very impressionistic, lot of movement... reminds me of the great soft hackle tiers approach to imitation.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:44 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet report and nice fish. I'm gonna have to add a few of those AP Emergers to my box.
stenacron likes this.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

Hi Joe,

Those are some dandy fishes buddy! The surf looked heavy at the beginning but I take it things were good in spite of the chop, I hope you get a few more shots at them before things turn down there. It was 49 here at home today but I don't do weekends so I worked both yesterday & today. If the weather stays warm I'll be fishing into December as I can't get to the cabin unless I fly in............

Nice report,

Ard
stenacron likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Hi Joe,

Those are some dandy fishes buddy! The surf looked heavy at the beginning but I take it things were good in spite of the chop, I hope you get a few more shots at them before things turn down there. It was 49 here at home today but I don't do weekends so I worked both yesterday & today. If the weather stays warm I'll be fishing into December as I can't get to the cabin unless I fly in............

Nice report,

Ard
Thanks Ard and yes, a good chop almost always leads to excellent fishing, if you can locate an area of concentration.

The picture above is actually the shoreline contour that I described in the 2nd paragraph. You can even see how directly in front of me the waves are striking the shore at about a 45-deg angle... but as the undercurrents slam into the corner there, the waves actually turn parallel to the shoreline, creating very strong surface currents, sweeping the concentrated food items with it. As the shoreline contour bends back, the "food chain" is blown out into the main lake where the fish can line up at a comfortable depth and pick off their prey at will for as long as conditions last.

Biggest mistake I see anglers make (and that's all types of fishing) is not letting the wind do their work for them. Most casual anglers actually look for a place to "hide from the wind"... what they're really doing is hiding from the fish.

This lake in particular is frustrating to a lot of anglers, and in most cases it is either because they ignore the wind, or there is no wind. Personally I would rather have a good chop versus glass calm (unless the timing is right for a hatch - callibaetis being a prime example).

This lake is just small enough where the fish can not only wait for the wind to feed them, but also get to the spots where the topographical features concentrate the food. I am not kidding, it switches on/off within minutes when either the wind starts to blow, or fades to calm.

Under calm conditions trout will cruise and feed, and if you're bound to the shoreline (or wading) this sometimes takes them out of casting range if the skies are too bright.
Ard Stetts likes this.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

I get that, the only Lake Trout I ever caught on a streamer came from the North end of Seneca Lake of Finger Lakes fame. Seneca is about a 30 mile long lake lying on almost a true North / South axis and when a sustained wind comes from the south there is what locals call 'a food boom' that forms up at Geneva NY. The boom is very obvious and can be seen. Every dead or dying minnow, bug, and a raft of other things I'm not familiar with drift to the shore driver by the waves. You can wade right out at the City Pier and cast into the surf with a sink line. Let things settle to the bottom and then just move it a little every few seconds. The Laker's come into shallow water at these times to take advantage of the grub. I was told that that was the only and best opportunity to catch them shallow with a fly and can't argue it.
stenacron likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;