The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Stillwater Fly Fishing

Stillwater Fly Fishing Discuss stillwater techniques, patterns used, ask questions, get answers on the best way to fish stillwaters

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JoJer
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By scotty macfly
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 PM

think trout has a spectacular aura aboutthink trout has a spectacular aura about
Default Level dry fly leaders

I received an email from Snowbee with a video attached on how to fish stillwaters. The man in the video tied 10' of fluorocarbon tippet material onto the welded loop of his fly line with a clinch knot and tied a dry fly on the other end. Has anyone ever heard of fishing dry flies with a 10' level leader?
Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 AM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Level dry fly leaders

What struck me as odd was fishing dries on fluorocarbon: I think it tends to sink.
Bigfly likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-08-2017, 10:15 AM

think trout has a spectacular aura aboutthink trout has a spectacular aura about

I thought the same thing. I've viewed several videos of fisherman in England using long level leaders for everything and they all used fluorocarbon.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:29 PM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

I recall reading many years ago that some dry fly anglers were using various methods to cause their tippet to sink adjacent to the fly, to eliminate the "shadow" that the floating tippet might create. So, with that in mind it could make sense for the tippet to be fluorocarbon. Plus of course there's that hype about fluoro being "invisible" under water.

I never fished dry flies a lot. Most surface fishing I've done for trout has been with terrestrial patterns, and a light tippet wasn't a necessity. IMO, such a long straight tippet, particularly where an accurate & finesse presentation is required, might make such a presentation difficult to attain. A tapered leader & tippet combination is not always needed, but not all straight leader/ tippet combinations work well, especially if they are long in length.

I've certainly used a lot of heavier straight leaders but more in the 6' or less length range, and not with dry flies.

There's also the possible hinging issue with tying tippet to the welded loop.

Of course, none of this we do is gospel, so if it works for an angler, that's all that really should matter. I know that over all the years I've fly fished, I've done unconventional things as far as leaders & tippet, and gotten some strange looks & comments from other anglers. I've been told "that won't work" and proven to myself that it does. So, as long as it works for me, I'll keep doing the unconventional, and would expect others to do the same with what works for them.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:46 PM

scotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant futurescotty macfly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Of course, none of this we do is gospel, so if it works for an angler, that's all that really should matter. I know that over all the years I've fly fished, I've done unconventional things as far as leaders & tippet, and gotten some strange looks & comments from other anglers. I've been told "that won't work" and proven to myself that it does. So, as long as it works for me, I'll keep doing the unconventional, and would expect others to do the same with what works for them.
What you just said is gospel. If unconventional ways work for someone, who has the authority to say it won't work? I applaud those who find strange and peculiar ways to make it work. Some of the best ideas I have seen were so mid-evil looking, but they worked better than the newer technical ways because less things to go wrong.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 PM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scott! It is after all just fishing. We do sometimes make things in this sport more complex than they need to be.
dennyk likes this.