The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Smile We Now Have A Tenkara Sub Forum;

Hello,

In view of the interest expressed by some, it seems but fair to give those who either enjoy this already or who are looking for some info their own threads.

Enjoy,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: We Now Have A Tenkara Sub Forum;

Know very little about tenkara but it's neat to be able to learn about it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I do like many of the authentic Tenkara style flies.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Ard.
I am still waiting for my Tenkara to arrive, but I have been making leaders for a few years now. I feel by owning my own I will be able to formulate new leaders to do special functions.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: We Now Have A Tenkara Sub Forum;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Thank you Ard.
I am still waiting for my Tenkara to arrive, but I have been making leaders for a few years now. I feel by owning my own I will be able to formulate new leaders to do special functions.
If they're the equal of your furls, they'll be 'killer equipment.'

Fred
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Know very little about tenkara but it's neat to be able to learn about it.
If you already have fly fished, the main thing you need to figure out is what to do with your off hand. It may take you a couple of minutes to adjust to the casting stroke, I don't know if I can put it in words. It's very similar, but gentler.

The flies you already use will work great. The combination of a longer rod and lighter line will allow you very precise control over how you present your fly.

I would say on the average, the time spent between first picking up the rod and catching a fish is about 5 minutes. Unless of course you are fishing on your backyard lawn. It may take a little longer for the first fish.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I went out yesterday to a small creek here. I took the new ALLEN FLY FISHING "Icon" 10' 4 wt. rod (which is truly a dream rod)
Wind was blowing and a little cold. I had a 9' leader and about 15' of line out. Just kept flipping the fly ( a Chironomid) up stream with my left hand in my pocket. It was wonderful and fun.
So, I am looking forward to this. I can see having to adjust when landing a fish. But, I do have long handle nets
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I received my Iwana 12' a couple of weeks ago but the wind and work are keeping me from getting the new rod out. Hey Joni, I will have to check your leaders out. I have a 3.5 level line for the Iwana which I was told would work good, but I am always interested in new/better ways to fish under certain conditions.

Craig

Thanks to all who supported this effort to get tenkara on the site!
fysh and shotgunfly like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM

You bet! I wanna experiment. I was even thinking a SILK leader in like 13'.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Silk, that might be something. I was going to order a traditional line as well to see which I would like better or If it might fit one situation better than another. Looking forward to giving it try soon.

Craig