The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Joni... Dry's on Tenkara Rods?

Joni, just an FYI, I ran into an angler last Tuesday afternoon on the lower Provo River just as he was packing up. I saw his Tenakara rod and asked how he did... 13 browns landed in 2 hours, all 10-13 inches, fishing a blue-winged olive dry fly.

Just curious if you - or anyone - had theirs out this season so far?
noreaster likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-28-2013, 04:51 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Joni... Dry's on Tenkara Rods?

I still need to wait a few days here in Michigan, rivers have pretty much been in flood stage, several at record levels, but they are on the way down.

Regarding dry flies and tenkara rods, I've been a dry fly bigot for a long time. I fish on the surface, maybe a little damp, 95% of the time. It's the ability to accurately present a fly that originally drew me to fishing a fixed-length lined rod.

My home river is primarily a caddis breeding ground. In order to effectively fish a caddis on the surface, most of the time it requires an active presentation. That's where the long rods and light lines really come in handy. Although I very rarely fish a dead drift presentation, again the long rod and light line allow one to fish very little, if any line actually touching the water. That really allows for a great dead drift.

If you enjoy fishing on top, I don't think there is a more effective way to do it.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo