The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Stan Wright
  • 1 Post By Stan Wright
  • 1 Post By runningfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Tenkara Play Day

I decided to take my Tenkara rod and just play around with the red devils today. The ultra light tenkara rods are designed for small mountain streams and trout under 12 inches, so I figured a 1/2 to 3/4 pound RD would give it a real work out.

For a fly, I selected a # 14 AH hook with tiny bead eyes, orange thread, and gold flash-a-boo... tied to a 4# test leader. The fish loved it.

This one weighed one pound, and put up a nice fight.
Click the image to open in full size.

This one was more on the red side.

Water temperature was 82 and the fish were nice and aggressive.

Those red devils come in a variety of colors don't they?

This one must be kissing cousins to a Japanese Koi.

Then came the big surprise. I cast to a pair of red devils and from out of no where I see this flash of orange and yellow, and wham... Where did this guy come from? It was nice to have that limber 5:5 rod to cushion the runs and keep the 4# test leader from parting. Fortunately for me, this peacock bass headed for deep water so I wasn't worried about it cutting me off. Just hold on, let the rod do the work. I'm so glad that Shane was along to help me net the fish.
Three pounds, right on the money.

And remember all you amateur photographers... what ever is closest to the camera, looks the biggest. Especially if you hide your hand so the viewer has nothing to compare to the actual size of the fish. Now how big does that 3 pounder look? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Joni, theboz, yonder and 1 others like this.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tenkara Play Day

That peacock must have been fun! Thanks for sharing...-Mike
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice colorful fish. Always wondered where my old goldfish ended up
Old 07-09-2013, 02:01 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Because Hawaii is "tropical"... LOL
When people tire of their tropical fish they dump them is streams and ponds... where they thrive.
We probably have more species of tropical fish in our Wahiawa Res. than are found in most pet stores. Some get quite large. It's a great place for those anglers trying to catch as many different species of fish as possible.
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Wow, very neat. Always wanted to tangle with a peacock. Nice job getting him to hand!

Craig
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

You had a great day Congrats
Old 07-11-2013, 12:05 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Nice,

I had some Tenkara fishermen came to me and allowed me to use it. It was very easy to use and I might pick up one for my 2 months to Japan and Indonesia in August to partner up with a spinning and a 6wt rod.

Gotta read more about it, thank you for your posting.
yonder likes this.