The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying Tenkara Amago, traditional line question

I finally put the Tenkara Amago in the shopping basket but couldn't complete the purchase since I didn't know what length of the traditional line that I should get.
And is 4.5 level line the correct selection for the Amago?

thank you
Old 07-13-2013, 12:19 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying Tenkara Amago, traditional line question

Nice rod, thinking about getting one myself. At 13.6 it's a nice length. Not sure on the line for it. If you can't get an answer here try the Tenkara USA site.

Craig
Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think they recommend the 4.5 for it, but I haven't used it to know. Personally I'd start there and could always order a couple others to try and perhaps use under different conditions.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I called Tenkara USA and was told that since the Amago is 13.5FT I should get the 13.5FT traditional tenkara leader. I also bought the Pink 4.5 Level line. All for less than $200 before tax. It makes me realized how economical and simple Tenkara is and no wonder so many traditional fly fishermen converted to Tenkara.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:14 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

Your line length can vary. I personally run a level line the length of my rod for general purpose. With a 12' Iwana I would run a 12' line to start off, with a 4ft tippet you have a 16' line plus the 12' of the rod. Soooo for you Amago It would be a good Idea to start with a 13-14' 4.5 line. with 4ft of tippet you'll have an 18' line plus the rod.Perfect for moderate to large rivers streams etc and wonderful for lakes and ponds great choice!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM

thank you for the tip, I guess 4x-5x will be the choice for the tippet.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM

christianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura aboutchristianfishn has a spectacular aura about

I would jus go get a spool of 4lb fluorocarbon and even a 6lb. Thatll lat you forever.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianfishn View Post
I would jus go get a spool of 4lb fluorocarbon and even a 6lb. Thatll lat you forever.
Yes, I have plenty from my conventional fishing tackle.

TJ from Tenkara USA told me that the max was 4x or the tip of the tenkara will brake.