The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   The Tenkara Forum Threads (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/tenkara-forum-threads/)
-   -   What about tenkara flies??? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/tenkara-forum-threads/325471-what-about-tenkara-flies.html)

yonder 07-18-2013 01:43 PM

What about tenkara flies???

Can we use the standard dries and nymphs, or are there better options available??:)

williamhj 07-18-2013 02:08 PM

Re: What about tenkara flies???

You can use your regular flies or get / tie the reverse hackles you see connected to Tenkara.

yonder 07-18-2013 02:57 PM

Reverse hackles.........I have seen the pictures, and I definitely need to do more research......thanks for the reply William....:)

williamhj 07-18-2013 10:37 PM

There are great videos on youtube showing folks tying reverse hackle Tenkara flies. Not too tough and nothing wrong with fishing them with your regular fly fishing gear. Can impart some nice action in the water.

yonder 07-19-2013 11:14 AM

Yes.........I learn alot from the flytiers on you tube.......it is a great educational media to explore........:)

pszy22 07-23-2013 09:19 AM

Personally speaking, the major advantage I've found in fishing long, light rods are the precise presentation I can accomplish. To be honest, I spend very little time worrying about what fly I have tied on. I only fish a couple of patterns, both are very generic looking. If you look at alot of the flies that are commonly refered to as "tenkara" flies, they tend to be somewhat generic in color and detail.

I should say if you fish somewhere where you fairly regularly have blanket hatches of flies which cause the fish to become selective, it probably does make sense to "match the hatch".

Where I fish, blanket hatches are the exception, there tend to be lesser numbers of a variety of different food items in the water at any given time. I feel if I can make a generic looking fly look good enough to eat, chances are the fish will.

On the waters I fish, I find trying a bunch of different presentations is more productive than trying a bunch of different fly patterns. The nice thing about the rods used is they really help in being able to get the fly to do exactly what you want it to do.

One thing to think about if you are going to tie up some reverse hackles, think a bit about where you intend to fish. You may want to vary the hackle stiffness. Again for my waters, I tie all my flies using a number 2 or 3 grade hackle. I don't want a real stiff hackle, I think a slightly softer (and sometimes wider) hackle is more effective. Although I just about always fish dries, I do like to jerk them under and fish them damp, so the softer hackles
give a better look (at least to me).