The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Enjoying the simplicity on a budget. Possible?

I first started fishing a fixed length line set up using a $15 black beauty crappie pole I bought at Walmart. To be honest, it wasn't as nice to fish as a tenkara rod, mainly due to it's weight. However it did fish ok, and caught a ton of fish.

If money is a concern, and it comes down to either fishing with crappie pole, or not fishing at all, I'd say give the crappie pole a try.

For the record, there are a number of tenkara rod options for well under a $100.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 AM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Just did a search on Amazon and there are rod choices starting at $70.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

There are options I personally know of starting at $55.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

I haven't been back to the forum for sometimes and the first thing popped into my eyes are Tenkara? Very cool!

From the pserspective of a Japanese angler growing up with both tenkara and western fly fishing, I'm quite sure the entry bar for Tenkara is not as high as buying any given hand rod flexible enough to manage the casting.

However, if you are doing level-line tenkara fit for more versatile style including drift fishing, then you will surely make your investment's worth by buying professionally built tenkara rod to the specification. Long story short, I can't do it without proper Tenkara rod.

If not, then I can tell you that I made my first hand rod catch of trout with artificial fly tied at the end of 6 feet leader at the end of my telescopic chub rod. I only caught 1 cherry salmon while my dad caught more than 5 using proper tenkara rod.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversink View Post
I haven't been back to the forum for sometimes and the first thing popped into my eyes are Tenkara? Very cool!

From the pserspective of a Japanese angler growing up with both tenkara and western fly fishing, I'm quite sure the entry bar for Tenkara is not as high as buying any given hand rod flexible enough to manage the casting.

However, if you are doing level-line tenkara fit for more versatile style including drift fishing, then you will surely make your investment's worth by buying professionally built tenkara rod to the specification. Long story short, I can't do it without proper Tenkara rod.

If not, then I can tell you that I made my first hand rod catch of trout with artificial fly tied at the end of 6 feet leader at the end of my telescopic chub rod. I only caught 1 cherry salmon while my dad caught more than 5 using proper tenkara rod.
That is a very good point. As I said earlier, I started fishing a fixed-length line system using a $15 crappie pole, what I didn't say earlier, I was using a furled line. As you say, that makes a very big difference. I had to play around with the furled line design for a while to get it to cast the way I wanted.

It's not unusual to be able to easily turn over a furled line without using any rod at all, just holding it directly in one's hand. I certainly can't do that using a single strand level line.

I think you are spot on when you say you do need a properly designed tenkara rod to fish a level line. Maybe not so much to fish a furled line. But in all cases, it certainly is alot more pleasant to fish a rod that was designed for the application for which it is being used.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't say furled or taper-line tenkara is any easier than level-line tenkara. They are distinct technique much like wet fly and dry fly are.

Level-line is more contemporary style for people who want to use all sorts of set up from traditional tenkara wet fly to western dry fly, to be able to drift longer without a drag, and to catch more fish. This way you don't need to tie a whole new fly box

I don't know who began saying this, but tenkara has ten-colour!

North American fish in front of the versatility of tenkara?
Good lord, I wish I am there to join you redefine fly fishing...

Following readings may open more doors to how contemporary tenkara can be, but I'm sure you have tried something similar to them:

8' Tenkara in the hands of 4 year old
Easy Tenkara or Easy Fly? – Skagit Design Easy Fly Kit | Tokyo Fly Fishing & Country Club

Saltwater tenkara
Shore Game: Ito, Shizuoka | Tokyo Fly Fishing & Country Club
Old 10-07-2013, 10:40 AM

It would be really interesting to learn more from you about some of more traditional aspects of tenkara. Most of the folks I talk to here in the States started out like I did, with very little background or knowledge of how the equipment was traditionally fished.

I found the long rods and light lines were ideal for the way I've been fishing with a reel. I fish a dry fly 90% of the time, but I only fish my dry fly with a dead drift maybe 25% of my casts. I like to fish my dry fly with an active presentation, I lie to swing, skate, twitch, dap, etc. I find using a furled line gives me alot more control for the way I like to present my fly.

Alot of folks I talk to also like to deeply fish nymphs, many seem to prefer a level line since it cuts thru the water column better than a thicker furled line.

I think that's one of the nice thing about tenkara rods, they seem to handle a fairly broad spectrum of line combinations. Folks are able to try different combinations until they find what works best for the way they like to fish. Maybe that a function of the inherent simplicity involved, there seems to not be black and white, right and wrong. However one enjoys fishing is all that counts. The one thing most folks agree on, they catch fish, and have fun doing so.

What techniques do youi find yourself using?

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog