The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM

ibcrewin is on a distinguished road
Default Enjoying the simplicity on a budget. Possible?

I really like the idea of fishing the tenkara way; there's a simplistic beauty about it. The problem is that even at the low end, you're looking to drop $200 for a set up. When I got into fly fishing and even still now, you can get a beginner's outfit for $40-$60

Is it possible to enjoy the takara way on a budget?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enjoying the simplicity on a budget. Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrewin View Post

I'm not trying to be silly here, look up paintings by Norman Rockwell. For those old enough, the cover's of the "Saturday Evening Post" magazine. Something died within me when that magazine was put to rest.

Couldn't afford a subscription but I was at the Library every week pouring over the pages. I'd walk in ,this was a really small library, 1,000-1200 square feet of wood floor lined with book shelves? Good books, old books, complete set of Cio' O'Peadieas for school study.

"Would you like a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich?"

"Yes Mam."

I can't remember her face, but Dear God I do remember her.

People who touch your life and make it better. For what its worth ended up with two Master's Degrees and two others unrelated. Why? Because she made me Peanut and Jelly Sandwiches as I read.

Sorry for the rant, but this question just kicked me back close to 60 years.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:44 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I love the covers of the Saturday Evening Post. I have some framed in my home...fishing related ones of course!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Enjoying the simplicity on a budget. Possible?

"Send me a Man who reads." Ben Franklin.

Looking at the pictures above Mike and tears running down my cheeks. Amazing what thoughts/memories will set you off.

Time standing still?

Frederick A. Evans
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Fred,
I love the pictures of the kids. Simplicity at its finest. I remember having my reel break when I was young and tying mono to my rod and using it like a cane pole. I caught fish and it was a blast.

I remember another trip to Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee fishing from a boat with cane poles, dropping jigs into the lilypads catching fish after fish. Tackle value...about 5 bucks. Memories...priceless.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote:
I really like the idea of fishing the tenkara way; there's a simplistic beauty about it. The problem is that even at the low end, you're looking to drop $200 for a set up. When I got into fly fishing and even still now, you can get a beginner's outfit for $40-$60

Sorry about blowing up your thread...it's Fred's fault!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I may know where a couple used Tenkaras are in excellent condition. Let me know if you are interested and I will connect you with my friend. I fished with him a couple weeks ago. He has at least two, and ordered an Orvis 3WT this week so I think he might be switching gears again.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM

ibcrewin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post

Sorry about blowing up your thread...it's Fred's fault!
No worries!! I love this sort of thing.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:44 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Ebay has a few rods for sale. TenkaraUSA and TenkaraBum both have some used equipment.

Check for estate/yard sales, too.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:

These sell every week on eBay UK, they tend to go for £17 to £24 GBP.
Tenkara Style Fly Fishing Rod, 3.3m, Trout/Roach/Chub/Perch/Dace | eBay
I doubt it would cost a lot to post one to you, I quite fancy one myself at that price.
S.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Those Drawing will never die after all those years there are still heaps around on Walls all over The World & they forever continue to pop up for Sale on Ebay & on Calendars I have a few in my Photo Collection I've copied now I've a few more.
Thanks Mike.
Brian.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.