The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tenkara? Is it worth a try? Even tho.....

Targeting small species only Bluegill's and small Bass in and around local waters. I've had set the hook up on some Bass that soon as I connected my pole been in half like I said before I don't know how strong that top ferrule is (just in case a carp did take it). One thing that is a plus about the Tenkara I read is that you still can leave your pole rigged and still drop the rod to it's 20in base or so. That would be great just to leave it in my backpack and than go out a few hours when I'am free. What is the action of the rods more, specific Tenkara Iwana?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I have four Tenkara rods.... They are loads of fun. I believe they are the best tool for getting youngsters interested in the sport of fly fishing. They are relatively inexpensive, they are simple to use and most importantly.... fun. I have landed many smaller (10-15") fish with Tenkara. A couple of years ago, I was talking with Craig Matthews (from Blue Ribbon Flies) about big fish and Tenkara... he told me to simply throw the rod into the river / pool. This past year on an annual back-packing / fly fishing trip, I also brought my Tenkara rod. We were catching mostly Cutthroats between 12"-15". Lots of fun. After we fished out a deep hole on top water flies, I decided to nymph fish with my Tenkara rod. I believe it was the first drift of a weighed beadhead nymph, Bang, Big Bulltrout on the line. No way was I going to land this fish on 5X tippet. Without thinking too much about it, I let the rod go and the watched the Bull-trout drag the line & rod around the pool for a bit. Because of the size of the pool (very large), the rod would move downstream only to get pulled back up-stream by an eddy. It was August and we were wet wading. After a few minutes of watching the rod circle in front of us, I waded into the pool to get my rod. The fish still had some fight in him, but was much less energetic as a freshly hooked trout. We were able to land the Bull, and safely release him. That was the most fun I ever had with a Tenkara rod in hand. Although fly fishing is my passion, Tenkara is a load of fun. We have a very large following in the States and abroad for our Tenkara lines… Feel free to contact me with any questions. Thank you.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-22-2013, 03:39 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

From what I've read, that was a pretty common practice back in the day before the advent of reels. Let go the rod, let the fish tire him/herself out, and then try to go and collect the catch.

I'm not sure I necessarily recommend that, at least in the waters I tend to fish, I'm not sure you'd necessarily ever get the rod back.

My personal philosophy, discretion is the better part of valor. As was previously discussed, you really need to purposely have a weak link in the chain, that being your tippet. When a truly large fish is encountered, point the rod directly at the fish and bid a fond adieu. That way you live to fight another day.

The good news - you always remember the one that got away.
craigthor likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-22-2013, 05:15 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking about trying tenkara for a while. Out of the different rods which would be good for small mountain streams ,rivers & lakes? I've been thinking the Iwana would be the right choice to cover it all.
Thanks for your input Dennis
Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Yes! I started early this year and have had a blast. Something different to the quiver.

Craig
Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about

Isn't this a variation of Czech nymphing? Sort of, kind of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
Isn't this a variation of Czech nymphing? Sort of, kind of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really. Traditionally, unlike czech nymphing, unweighted flies are used. Something closer to a wet fly or flymph.

Tenkara rods are designed for delicacy and finesse in delivery and presentation. They are not particularly well suited to sling heavily weighted flies.

You are right from the standpoint that they both fish a relatively short controlled line. They are both also a very effective technique.
craigthor likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Before coming to the Western side of fly fishing I did nothing but Tenkara for a solid year owning dozens of different rods by many manufacturers. It is a blast but isn't perfect in every situation. I did fish in every situation but there was always some sacrifice in certain places. Definitely as ultralight as you can get.

The Tenkara Guides out in Utah have been experimenting with TenCarpa using various Tenkara and Keiryu rods.
He's not kidding. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum has more hours on the water with Tenkara. When I met him he was wandering the driftless streams with spare rods in his socks, chanting Japanese fishing proverbs and such. It was a little weird at first, but he was killing the fish. It took some time but the dude bought a fly reel finally. I'm teachin him to spit and cuss next week.

Seriously though, Craig is an excellent source for Tenkara particulars.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:24 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
He's not kidding. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum has more hours on the water with Tenkara. When I met him he was wandering the driftless streams with spare rods in his socks, chanting Japanese fishing proverbs and such. It was a little weird at first, but he was killing the fish. It took some time but the dude bought a fly reel finally. I'm teachin him to spit and cuss next week.

Seriously though, Craig is an excellent source for Tenkara particulars.
Tis true, I really like the cussin' thing out on the stream when you hang a backcast in the trees.

As far as rods go they are jsut like western rods some cheap and some expensive and you may have to wait 6-12 months to receive it. In Tenkara you get what you pay for between low and high end rods.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:24 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Is Tenkara more a dry fly presentation? Saw one guy using a small popper catching bluegills