The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Tenkara? Is it worth a try? Even tho.....

I made a thread about Tenkara but didn't last long before it got deleted people using foul language on another site. I was asking in the Thread on their takes about Tenkara. I've seen enough video's on youtube to be interest in it but still have issues about it. 1st off I think Tenkara would be great for smaller fish for me like Bluegill's but I think about that one fish suck up my fly and turn out to be an 10-15lb carp and there goes the line and everything else also would be worry that it will snap that tiny light ferrule in half from something like that. Another issue would be the length of the rod I was looking at the Tenkara Iwana and it's 11ft long. I also think casting would be hard in a light breeze in my mind? Well basically is Tenkara worth a try? I'll only be using it for small ponds and lakes for a relaxing day in my Kayak, enjoying the eagles above my head, loving nature and keeping my troubles home.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tenkara? Is it worth a try? Even tho.....

I've been considering it also, Angelo, and have some of the same concerns you do. It will be interesting to get some feed back.
One of the benefits of this forum is that you can get honest answers from knowledgeable people, without all the chaff your post received elsewhere. Watch and see, and enjoy the upcoming posts.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I fished Tenkara exactly one day with a friend. It is especially fun in tight casting situations. Caught a bunch of small browns and it was a blast. You can get a setup very reasonable. Won't ever be my only rod but it is a lot of fun. The rod is so long you can fight a pretty decent fish.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 11-22-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 12' Iwana and enjoy it. I don't think it will become my primary fishing rod but I'm glad I have it and find it fun to fish from time to time. Also like how compact it is. I'll try to answer your questions.

- I've read you shouldn't use heavier than 5x on the rods. Using lighter tippet will help protect the rod since the tippet will break before the rod. That said, search youtube for 'large fish tenkara' and you'll see folks land them fine. Don't think it is usually the right tool for the job but it is doable, especially if you get a rod geared towards larger fish.

- Like other fly fishing casting in wind can be fun. There are different lines available both different mono and furled options. Some are better with wind where-as others might be better for presentation. Not using a reel and guides makes switching lines a bit simpler, especially with the small spools you can use to carry the line.

If you are so inclined I think it is worth it. Fun to fish, easy to use, effective, and very easy to carry around if you are looking for something to bring on a trip or in a backpack.
pszy22 and shotgunfly like this.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

I have the Tenkara USA Amago, it is very fun to use and it is my backup rod when I am going fly fishing.
christianfishn likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like fun but I haven't gotten into it.

I think it is a great way to get children into fly fishing and it may work great to introduce adults to our sport also.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Angelo,

That's why we have a forum dedicated to Tenkara here I have been browsing some other forums recently and they clearly demonstrate that this is both a user friendly format and a friendly group of members.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-22-2013, 04:28 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Regarding negative attitudes about Tenkara, maybe not so much now, but there was a time not too long ago many "sportsmen" felt the same way about fly fishing in general - Someone in rubber pants swishing around a long floppy rod.

A lot of those perceptions may have changed when "the movie" came out, and it became somewhat hip.

I'm the first to say, fishing a fixed-length line (tenkara) is NOT for everybody. To directly answer your question of what folks will enjoy tenkara, if I use the basic progression many fisher folks go thru -

Wants to catch first fish - Yep
Wants to catch alot of fish - Yep
Wants to catch the biggest fish - Nope
Wants to catch difficult fish - Yep

If you are going to loose sleep when you break off the biggest fish of the month, you are better off sticking with snake guides.

Regarding size of fish you can expect to reasonably catch, trout up to 16 - 17" are doable. After that, your chances go down. The system is design to accurately, precisely, and delicately deliver and present your fly. That is at the direct expense have having the brute strength to literally stop a large, fresh fish dead in it's tracks. Unfortunately as of yet, we can't have it all. Of course, that's why they make reeled rods in 1 weights and 12 weights.

It's sort of interesting, if you look at the folks who take up tenkara, I don't think it's a bell shaped curve when it comes to experience levels. I think you see a big blip with folks who haven't fished (or fly fished) much, an another blip with folks who have been fishing along time and have gotten past being enamored with equipment (not to say being enamored with equipment isn't fun).

Hope that helps a bit. And please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, this is a great place to get them answered from a variety of perspectives.

p.s. If big fish are the target, there are fixed-length line rods designed for that purpose, they are called hera rods. The thing is you give up the delicacy/precision for which tenkara rods are designed. Of course even the hera rods have a limit, you hook a big enough fresh fish and try to literally jerk it out of the water, something is going to give.

p.p.s. This looks like a great option for large fish -
fredaevans likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 11-22-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

'Tenkara to the Max!'
pszy22 likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Before coming to the Western side of fly fishing I did nothing but Tenkara for a solid year owning dozens of different rods by many manufacturers. It is a blast but isn't perfect in every situation. I did fish in every situation but there was always some sacrifice in certain places. Definitely as ultralight as you can get.

The Tenkara Guides out in Utah have been experimenting with TenCarpa using various Tenkara and Keiryu rods.
pszy22 and ia_trouter like this.