The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM

fyshy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
It's pretty much the same decision you've probably already made a couple of times for the reeled equipment you already own. Do you need to spend $500/$600/$700 for a rod and reel to catch bluegills in your local pond? The honest answer is no. However some folks derive enjoyment fishing a $700 rod and reel for bluegills, so the extra expense is obviously worth it to them.

Some folks enjoy fishing a fixed length line system for the simplicity it provides - a stick, a string , a fly. The idea being you concentrate on the fishing , not the equipment. Other folks look forward to fishing whatever the latest and greatest model happens to be.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's not so much black and white, rather different shades of gray. They all catch fish, it is just a matter of where you like to be on the cost/value curve.

As with many things fly fishing related, sometimes the shopping is half the fun.

I think you figured me out. During the winter months I spend waaaay too much time picking out a new toy for the coming spring!

Thanks.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Thanks shotgunfly.

Thanks for the info. Do you think a tenkara rookie like me should be concerned with rod choice or just order one and enjoy? I will use it mostly on my home lake for bluegill and small bass. I also plan to try it on some of my trout trips.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 PM

fyshy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Rod?

Bought the ayu 2. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for all comments.