The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM

fyshy is on a distinguished road
Default Which Rod?

Hello all,

I have been fly fishing for 15 years and now I want to give this tenkara thing a try. I fish bluegill and bass on my home lake, and go trout fishing several times a year in North Carolina, Tennessee, Montana, Arkansas...

Please recommend a tenkara rod to enjoy the bluegill and trout fishing. I imagine I will stay with my conventional fly gear for bass.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 AM

CM_Stewart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which Rod?

It is hard to give you a recommendation without getting a bit more information, particularly on the trout fishing. A suitable rod for 6" fish in the Montana headwaters is one thing and a suitable rod for 24" fish in the Madison in Montana or the White in Arkansas is another.

If you want a rod that can handle larger fish in larger rivers, you won't find a better rod than the Daiwa Enshou LT39SF. At almost 13' it will be a bit long for smaller streams, though, particularly if they are brushy or overgrown. It will also be more rod than you would need for bluegills. It would be fun with your bass, though.

For a somewhat shorter, more "all around" rod, the best I've found is the Shimano LLS36NX.

If your trout fishing will be mostly on smaller tributaries for smaller fish, then I would recommend the Nissin Zerosum 320 7:3.

All three of the rods are produced by Japanese companies who have been making tenkara rods for decades. You can easily find cheaper rods but you will not find better rods.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info cmstewart.

Certainly I am ignorant of the tenkara rods, but I really think I will target bluegill and small-medium size trout. I do fish for big largemouth and big trout but I will use my conventional fly gear. I am having a hard time imagining netting a 9 lb largemouth with a tenkara rod.

Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

For the 'Gills and crappie and fish to around 2 lbs I use a Tenkara USA Iwana 12' and it is a blast. Check out the site they have deals on their rods from time to time.

Craig
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Sorry I don't have the experience to recommend a particular rod but do it. Will never be my only flyrod but Tenkara is fun. Perfect for smaller fish in tight casting quarters. You can tuck the rod in your shirt sleeve and walk five miles into the woods if you need to.
craigthor likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
For the 'Gills and crappie and fish to around 2 lbs I use a Tenkara USA Iwana 12' and it is a blast. Check out the site they have deals on their rods from time to time.

Craig
Thanks. The Iwana is one of the rods I have read a lot about. You know how it is though, I like to try a rod before buying and there just are not any fly shops around my home with tenkara rods.

Maybe the subtle differences in tenkara rods are not enough for me to be concerned about....

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Sorry I don't have the experience to recommend a particular rod but do it. Will never be my only flyrod but Tenkara is fun. Perfect for smaller fish in tight casting quarters. You can tuck the rod in your shirt sleeve and walk five miles into the woods if you need to.
That is why I am interested. Thanks for the comment.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I'd recommend going with a 12' rod. It is a good all around length. A rod that length provides good range and is light and responsive so that it is a pleasure to fish.

As you suspect, fixed length line rods are fun to fish, but they are not practical for use if you are targeting large fish. It's like any other fly rod, there are trade offs - delicacy and precision vs. brute force. It's just not possible to stop a truly large, fresh fish dead in it's tracks. That's sort of why they invented reels.

You are also spot on, for the most part, the difference between fixed length line rods tend to be closer to the differences you might expect between different brands and models of 1 or 2 wt reeled rods. It's not as dramatic as you might expect between a 2 wt rod and a 7 wt rod.

Have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 01-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks pszy22. Guess I will end up with a 12 footer. Now to decide which one. Spend a little or a lot... Not sure I could tell the difference in a nice rod and a less expensive one.

Thanks again
Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I don't have a lot of experience with Tenkara but have 2 TenkaraUSA rods (ito and rhodo) which I'm going to be fishing dry this spring and summer. I've worked directly with the founder and owner of TenkaraUSA Daniel Galhardo on some advertising and find him to be genuine and on the cutting edge of Tenkara rod advancement. Given his following and the technology he's putting into his newest set of rods, I'd say it's worth looking into.

You can also take a look at this website with reviews several tenkara rods:
Tenkara Rods

Best,
Cardo

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshy View Post
Thanks pszy22. Guess I will end up with a 12 footer. Now to decide which one. Spend a little or a lot... Not sure I could tell the difference in a nice rod and a less expensive one.

Thanks again
It's pretty much the same decision you've probably already made a couple of times for the reeled equipment you already own. Do you need to spend $500/$600/$700 for a rod and reel to catch bluegills in your local pond? The honest answer is no. However some folks derive enjoyment fishing a $700 rod and reel for bluegills, so the extra expense is obviously worth it to them.

Some folks enjoy fishing a fixed length line system for the simplicity it provides - a stick, a string , a fly. The idea being you concentrate on the fishing , not the equipment. Other folks look forward to fishing whatever the latest and greatest model happens to be.

There is no right or wrong answer, it's not so much black and white, rather different shades of gray. They all catch fish, it is just a matter of where you like to be on the cost/value curve.

As with many things fly fishing related, sometimes the shopping is half the fun.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo