The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By craigthor
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM

ibcrewin is on a distinguished road
Default Fly sizes, larger fish, and small tippets

I have the Shimotsuke Tenkara 3.6 from Tenkarabum.com. The one time I went out I had a #4 level line with 5x tippet and I was throwing size 16 flies.

Say I wanted to throw a size 10 popper to target LMB. Would I tie it to the 5x tippet as insurance for the rod? Or should I go up to a 3x tippet?

Or should I stick to size 16 hooks?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly sizes, larger fish, and small tippets

Not sure I would recommend any true Japanese Tenkara rod to be used on LMB, these rods are typically used for fish that max out at 12". Can they catch bigger, sure they can but I wouldn't go higher than 5x myself. Typically I'm a fan of 6x for Tenkara and a size 10-12 Kebari.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go up too much on tippet. You want the tippet to break before the rod. Might want to contact tenkarabum to see what they recommend.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:31 AM

CM_Stewart is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrewin View Post
I have the Shimotsuke Tenkara 3.6 from Tenkarabum.com. The one time I went out I had a #4 level line with 5x tippet and I was throwing size 16 flies.

Say I wanted to throw a size 10 popper to target LMB. Would I tie it to the 5x tippet as insurance for the rod? Or should I go up to a 3x tippet?

Or should I stick to size 16 hooks?
You will be fine with a size 10 popper. I fish flies up to a size 6 (although mostly wet flies rather than poppers). With LMB, you'll get a lot of abrasion from their teeth. I'd go to a 4 lb test spinning line, which will be thicker than 5X tippet material and thus probably a bit better able to withstand abrasion. Check it after every fish and retie often.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM

ibcrewin is on a distinguished road

Maybe I should put a foot or two of 5x before a section of 3x.

level line.....5x..... 3x..... size 10 popper.

Anyway I got I have to say using the tenkara rod is fun. I've reached for the "reel" a couple times already!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrewin View Post
Maybe I should put a foot or two of 5x before a section of 3x.

level line.....5x..... 3x..... size 10 popper.

Anyway I got I have to say using the tenkara rod is fun. I've reached for the "reel" a couple times already!

Or just use 5x and not risk the rod, though I do know Chris usually has replacement parts available. Just because you tie on a short section of 5x doesn't mean that is where it will break.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Fishing a fixed length line rod is pretty straight forward, but one basic tenet is to be sure the weakest link in that fixed length line system isn't your rod.

Whether it be an unexpectedly super large fish, or a snag high up in a tree, you have to be prepared to be able to break off whatever it is before it breaks your rod.

I guess maybe it really isn't a tenet, you won't go to jail, or face eternal damnation, but ignoring purposely having a weak link can bring a quick and unexpected end to your fishing outing.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.

Try casting a popper with your current set up, I don't think you'll have a problem. I regularly fish poppers without any problem. The main concern you may have when fishing something like a popper is wind resistance, rather than the weight itself. If you happen to tie your own, maybe put a few less wraps of material in at the tail.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-19-2014, 02:17 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

I like to fish the braided line and use a 4 to 6 foot piece of 4# test fluorocarbon leader. I fish the Amago 4:6 and the Ayu 5:5 rods and I regularly land fish in the 2 pound range. My largest peacock bass was a few ounces over 4 pounds.
Largemouth and peacock bass will take small streamer flys and popping bugs no problem…. and 4# test line is a lot stronger than you think… especially when tied to a limber Tenkara Rod.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

I fished a very small clouser on my tenkara and did fine with 5x, bass were only about 8 inches though.