The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:10 AM

irons is on a distinguished road
Default Tenkara rod prices?

Whats the prices on most tenkara rods, mostly all i will be fishing is small mountain streams for brook trout. Any ideas?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tenkara rod prices?

from what I have seen it will run you around $200.00 for a decent one.
try Tenkarausa.com
Old 04-18-2014, 02:37 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
Whats the prices on most tenkara rods, mostly all i will be fishing is small mountain streams for brook trout. Any ideas?
Honestly depends on what you want. You can get starter rods from about $85 up to premium imports from Japan for around $450. How big of streams and what is your budget. I've fished with many of the rods out there and can help you pick something out. Shoot me a PM or Email though I'll try to keep an eye here also.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, i have been fly fishing for over 20 years but shoulder issues are limiting that, so i was looking at tenkara just to hit some small creeks for brook trout. Small creeks about 10 ft max wide. Also do they make bamboo or fiberglass rods, seems they would be alot of fun.
As for my budget, i may be selling off all my traditional gear so i will have the money for something good.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
Thanks for the replies, i have been fly fishing for over 20 years but shoulder issues are limiting that, so i was looking at tenkara just to hit some small creeks for brook trout. Small creeks about 10 ft max wide. Also do they make bamboo or fiberglass rods, seems they would be alot of fun.
As for my budget, i may be selling off all my traditional gear so i will have the money for something good.
There is one making Bamboo, but I can't recommend them personally. As for fiberglass none that I have seen though my rod will bend all the way to the grip with a big fish.

For the stream size you are looking at I really enjoy the TenkaraUSA Rhodo ($215) plus either level line or a furled line, 6x tippet and flies of choice. Excellent little rod for tight corner and can be fished at 3 different lengths.

The Rhodo is the grand slam of the TUSA line as far as I'm concerned and I have used most of their rods at one point or another. In a blind test I don't think I would have been able to tell it apart from the many imported rods I have used as well.

Craig
fredaevans and ia_trouter like this.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I will look into the rhodo.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If you are interested, fiberglass rods are available, PM sent.

have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

The new rods from Tenkara USA are going for around 200.00.The line about 25.00 I have a floating & sinking line,The line holder is about 5.00 each.Most of the flies you have can be used with Tenkara.I got into it for about 250.00 but I got my iwana rod on sale.
Dennis
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
If you are interested, fiberglass rods are available, PM sent.

have fun,
Thanks for the pm, I just finished looking at the site. Looks like good prices.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:16 PM

oldskewl808 will become famous soon enougholdskewl808 will become famous soon enough

I have been fishing a Fountainhead 360 ($80) the last couple days and having a blast with it. seems like good enough quality for the money and I tested it on some fish up to 12" I did however end up breaking it this morning, but it was completely my own fault. I plan on ordering another just like it.