The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM

michael_vorhis is on a distinguished road
Default Tenkara with Guided rods?

Hope I won't offend the Tenkara followers with this...I've noticed over the years that fly fishing with what we call a "traditional" outfit really shines when trying to reach out a little ways--25 feet and beyond. Inside 25 feet, and without question inside 20, the complexity of our "traditional" gear requires that we deal with certain close-in problems.

Don't get me wrong--I prefer a line length that I can change, either to get more out there or to land a fish without hand-lining it. The reel is not a problem. The guides can be though--slick line (like SA Sharkskin) sometimes wants to back itself down through the guides unannounced, when there's only 8 or 10 feet of it out, right when you have no leader on the water and the perfect drift in progress. Tenkara solves that--but of course only by trading it for other problems that I also don't want.

What I wonder is whether anyone ever does this: On tiny streams where pools are just too close to fish with a cast, put a little rubber band VERY LIGHTLY around the "guided" 9-foot fly rod (up around the 6-foot range), so the line doesn't shift down toward the reel without notice, and then go ahead and "tenkara" those close pools. It seems you should still be able to pull in line if needed (no need to give up that ability), and also to let larger fish pull a little out.

Nymph fishermen "tenkara" pools by Czech-nymphing, right? A lot like cane-poling, Irish dapping, etc. All very "direct" methods.

I assume the rubber band (or some kind of clip) idea has been tried but I cannot seem to find any references to it. And yes I know we can deal with the line in other ways...I do anyway...I'm just curious if such a jerry-rig has been tried by folks here. If nothing else it would be a simple way to avoid buying a whole new kind of gear. (I like having only one decent outfit--then I've got no decisions to make!)

Agan sorry if I offend; curious is all.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:11 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tenkara with Guided rods?

Pretty sure that is called dapping in western terms.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Pretty sure that is called dapping in western terms.
In Irish terms anyway. I believe I did mention dapping, cane-poling and Czech Nymphing.

My point was, when a fisherman comes to a spot where he says "I wish I'd brought a Tenkara rod for this stretch," it ought to be manageable with the guided rod that's in hand. Still can do the "hold the leader off the water's surface" thing. Was wondering whether anyone uses some physical means of holding the line in place wrt the guides. I haven't seen mention...yet.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Your idea could help if you have issue with the line slipping back through the guides. I'd wonder if you'd risk snapping a rod? If you were fighting a fish could it could change how the rod flexes and put too much pressure on the blank. Makes me think how catching a knot in a guide can snap the rod. Perhaps 6ft would be far enough down to be safe? I don't think I'd risk it. Personally I'd adjust my leader length to keep enough line out the tip to prevent it from sliding back.

In effect you'd be doing what you can do with a tenkara rod. However the rods are light and long and cast very light lines well. I tight line nymph and also use dries this way with my regular fly rods, but casting a Tenkara rod is different than casting my 10' 4wt for this type of fishing. Both work but they feel different. I'll say that I find I'd rather use my regular rods when fishing heavy nymphs.

p.s. I know dapping gets used to describe tenkara style fishing, but I thought dapping used really long rods and allowed wind to blow the fly (actual insect on a hook?) over the water rather than casting. It would light on the water and rise off then touch the surface again, etc etc etc. I could be mistaken.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Yes that's my understanding of dapping too William. I mentioned it mostly because I think it uses a "fixed" length of line/leader in the presentation, rather than casting and shooting line to the target. So it resembles Tenkara in that respect (I assume Tenkara accounts for breezes when doing the "hold the leader off the water" thing, anyway).

I too think I prefer using my primary gear, if for no other reason than that it's the gear I'll have in my hand when the moment arrives, and because I already own it. I like what I hear about some of the Tenkara techniques but those are the things I try to do anyway...with the gear I have.

Breaking a rod...a very good point, and thanks for that caution. I was envisioning a (pretty loose) rubber band that would still allow line to be pulled either direction through it (to reel fish in or to let a running fish run), but which would provide just a bit of rubbery friction sufficient to keep the line from slipping backward on the pressure of its own weight.

Still a rod could break though, now that you mention it, because that rubber band could effectively "add a guide" somewhere and alter the distribution of the load across the rod's taper. I think if it were done right at a guide, then that would not happen...and that would be the place to try it. Instinct tells me the guide above the stripping guide would be the place.

And maybe a little soft rubber "plug" (like a piece of rubber bass worm) in the guide would work even better, as long as it didn't fall out and litter the stream; the line could go through when pulled but wouldn't "shoot."

Doesn't sound like this friction idea has been discussed to death in general stream-fishing circles...but I think I may try it. Just adjusting the leader length hasn't seemed to avoid the occasional curse-word moment with the super-slick line I'm using these days.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

When in doubt just get a Tenkara rod.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
When in doubt just get a Tenkara rod.
Or maybe test out this idea...given that

I prefer using my primary gear, if for no other reason than that it's the gear I'll have in my hand when the moment arrives