The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Advice for small creeks, please

Our local streams and creeks are VERY small, but I love ‘em. The trout are about 4”-6” long, and they hide under logs and in small pockets in very close quarters. There is brush on the banks, and tree limbs hang low overhead. I have a 7’-6” 3 wt., and I find myself wishing I had a longer rod, perhaps a Tenkara rod, for reaching from pocket to pocket, high-sticking and dapping; but once a fish is on, how do you bring it in on a long rod without bumping into so many branches and bushes around?
Should I be looking at Tenkara, or another longer ultralight outfit (00 wt.), or ______ ?
Old 05-13-2014, 05:08 PM

darkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nicedarkshadow is just really nice
Default Re: Advice for small creeks, please

yikes,

from experience, keep learning how to be disciplined with hooksets with that 7'6". a bit of advice is to set the hook horizontally across the stream bed, instead of vertically.

(although I love the slow motion Brad Pitt shot of setting a hook directly above your head as if you didn't have acres of willow trees surrounding you)

I try that, and I break a rod.

Keep with the "western style." With creeks like the ones we have in SoCal, I see a Tenkara rod bringing more problems than results. I know there are certain areas that a Tenkara rod would excel (but so would my 7'6" 3 weight), but with the places I've fished, it just doesn't make sense, unless you want to fish 10% of the areas that I could with a Western style presentation.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Personally, in close quarters, I use a 6'6" 3wt that I roll cast alot. You might be able to go with a 10ft 3wt, but that's still a long rod.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 PM

fishsalmo56 is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread here. I've learned a little from this one.
I also have a 7'6" 3 wt that I love for smaller streams. I think thes guyscare on to something with their comments.
I've never
Fished a Tenkara rod, but agree that it might be too much rod for these smaller streams. Like one of the otherresponses said, I like roll casting a lot on these smaller streams into those little pockets.