The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By pszy22
  • 1 Post By Stan Wright

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road
Default folding net

I've been thinking of picking up the Simms folding net that tenkara bum sells,Has anyone tried this net??
Thanks for your in put Dennis
Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: folding net

Don't know if this might be useful to you, but I've been using this homemade gizmo for the past two years. It works almost like magic, I haven't had to touch a single fish since I started using it. Probably not very helpful if you plan to keep any fish, or if you aren't wading since the fish falls off the hook back into the water.

THis gizmo seems particularity well suited for use with a tenkara rod -

Grab Line with off hand
Stick rod under arm
Grab gizmo
Say goodbye to fish
repeat

Click the image to open in full size.
Joni and runningfish like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

That Gizmo is probably working better than Bill Dance's Dehooker.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 PM

sheepdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Don't know if this might be useful to you, but I've been using this homemade gizmo for the past two years. It works almost like magic, I haven't had to touch a single fish since I started using it. Probably not very helpful if you plan to keep any fish, or if you aren't wading since the fish falls off the hook back into the water.

Grab Line with off hand
Stick rod under arm
Grab gizmo
Say goodbye to fish
repeat

Not trying to threadjack but I'm not exactly sure how this gizmo works. Could you elaborate on it a little bit, please?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

thanks guys I don't keep brookies to pretty I made a dehooker & it works great I'm thimking small net to help control the fish for some pictures then back into the water
Thanks Dennis
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Dennis,

Yep, the gizmo won't do you any good. The nice thing about the gizmo is you don't have to touch or control the fish to release it. Doesn't allow for pictures.

As an aside, I've always admired Chris' ability to take great fishing photos. You may want to ask him what he finds work best for him.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post

Grab Line with off hand
Stick rod under arm
Grab gizmo
Say goodbye to fish
repeat
I like those!
The cork handle is quirky enough to make me really smile, yet no doubt about floatation!!
What did you use for the wire?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM

That's the only downside to these, you need to drink a bottle of wine to make one.

I "processed" about 45 - 50 fish this weekend, never had to touch a single one. At least to me, these things almost work like magic.

I think the wire I used was from a commercial, heavy duty plastic trash can tie. Pretty much any fairly stiff wire will work. Even those heavy duty paper clips. You just want something fine enough that will fit into the bend of whatever size hooks you are using.

FOr the sake of truth in advertising, I stole the idea from these guys. Although the design actually works better than it looks in the video. Maybe because I use barbless hooks, there is no need to do any sort of shaking, they fall right off -

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

The guides on Christmas Island make these to release the bonefish. The wood is soft and it floats if you drop it. ( Hau Bush, same wood the Hawaiians used for the outrigger on their canoes)

I used Stainless Steel wire because of the rust problem. When the kids were young I had one about 3 feet long so I could "reach out" and grab their line.
Great way to release fish without touching them.
pszy22 likes this.