The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pszy22
  • 1 Post By james w 3 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Love the wind!

I love fishing in the wind. 4th of July weekend I had the chance to fish a couple of windy evenings and had a blast. Granted, this may not be for everyone, but for where and how I fish, itís great.

I fish a large river, so I can just about always position myself with regards to the wind. My river has a lot of caddis flies, so an active presentation works well.

To be honest, itís as much kite flying as it is fly casting. My fly is in the air as much or more than it is on the water. It does allow one to perfectly imitate the up and down movement made by an egg laying caddis. I think what makes it so exciting is the explosive takes of the fish. They feel the need to strike explosively.
pheldozer likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Love the wind!

The English call this aerial presentation "flossing" and it's quite popular and effective.
I hadn't made the connection until now, a Tenkara rig is perfect for this technique.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Last Saturday, I was sight fishing and spent a couple of hours dead-drifting dry flies to no effect.
Then I switched to fake tenkara, rubber-banding my leader to the end of the rod to turn it into a fixed length.
This time I let the fly hover over the water by and inch or two, and let the gentle breeze make it dance. It drove the trout crazy, especially the smaller trout. They came shooting up out of the water to grab it!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Best fly fishing tip I can give anyone - wind or no wind, if a dead drift isn't working; try something else.

Some stuff fish eat does indeed float along at a dead drift, alot of stuff they eat doesn't.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo