The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By pszy22
  • 1 Post By james w 3 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Two More Converts

Using a fixed-length line system seems to be a potentially popular option with a range of fly fishing folk. Folks new to fly fishing will be able to cast and fish their fly after only a few minutes of instruction. I have yet to meet a person who can't get the basics down and start fishing in less than 5 minutes.

Experienced fly fisher folk enjoy the delicacy, accuracy and presentation options the system provides.

Just this weekend while I was on the river there was a husband trying to teach his wife to cast/fish. The husband had fly fished at least a bit before, it was the wife's first time out. To be honest, fishing was not the greatest, the dog days of summer had started to settle in.

After about an hour of watching the wife fail around, I asked her if she would like to try my rod. After about three tries she got the casting stroke down and after about ten cast caught her first fish. The husband also wanted to give it a go, and he hooked a fish in the first several minutes.

To be honest, the tenkara gods must have been smiling. The fact that they both caught a fish may have been just a bit lucky due to the less than optimal conditions. Both did enjoy their ability to to deliver a fly and be able to present it, maybe the fish was just a bonus.
mcnerney, busbus and james w 3 3 like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two More Converts

A husband trying to teach the wife how to cast always seems doomed to fail, congrats on stepping in and showing them the Tenkara method and letting them use your rod so they could enjoy the feeling of catching a fish, I'm sure that made their day.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:46 PM

uinta fish is on a distinguished road

My son gave me a tenkara rod for Fathers day, I haven't picked up my fly rod since, its the most engaging type of fishing I've ever done. We will pack in on horses to some of these remote streams around here and have more fun than I've ever had with a fly rod, I catch bigger fish too. 10 to 12" instead of 6 to 8". those bigger brookies hit these tenkara flies hard!!! You better make sure the level line and tippet connection is good or its history. I had to teach myself to go real easy on the hook set.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I think you'll find you will at least have a shot at trout up to 15, maybe 16 inches. After that, the odds increase exponentially in the fishes favor.

That may not necessarily be all bad, there is a saying - You always remember the ones that got away. Personally speaking, the fish that are most vivid in my constantly failing memory are ones that I never brought to hand.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 PM

uinta fish is on a distinguished road

I have caught a couple of 17" to 18" natives but didn't measure them just put them back ASAP. The bookies were footballs, fat little buggers, I caught one brookie that was 16" but man he was a chunk, almost like a smallie. What a hoot!!

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

I have caught a couple of 17" to 18" natives but didn't measure them just put them back ASAP. The bookies were footballs, fat little buggers, I caught one brookie that was 16" but man he was a chunk, almost like a smallie. What a hoot!!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Using a fixed-length line system seems to be a potentially popular option with a range of fly fishing folk. Folks new to fly fishing will be able to cast and fish their fly after only a few minutes of instruction. I have yet to meet a person who can't get the basics down and start fishing in less than 5 minutes.

Experienced fly fisher folk enjoy the delicacy, accuracy and presentation options the system provides.
I found Tenkara this summer too. There's just something so appealing about such a simple, direct fishing method.

To be honest, my 2wt rig hasn't seen the water since. And I used to just love fishing that rig . . .
pszy22 likes this.