The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > The Tenkara Forum Threads

The Tenkara Forum Threads Discuss the tackle and techniques of Tenkara fly fishing here

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 AM

protein is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tenkara and streams with cover

Ha! Don't give me too much credit for branching out to NC. I'm in Greenville and haven't really found productive local spots yet. I'm probable copping out by going up a state!

Good luck with the new purchase and enjoy.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Got my first rod on order! 12ft caddis from fountainhead tenkara. Thanks a bunch for the info everyone!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM

patrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to behold

I think you'll find yourself unconsciously adapting to the 12 foot rod's unfamiliar length.

The biggest impact Tenkara has had on my overall fishing is to make me far more aware of where I am in the river. Fishing with my feet, in other words.

You might check out a shorter Tenkara rod in future, however. I have the Komodo Creek eight-footer and the Temple Fork eight and a half. Both are a good length for the brook trout streams I fish (as is the Nissin Air Stream, which is a little under eight feet, I think).

Remember too that changing lines around is as much a part of this as changing leaders and tippets is for Western fly-fishing. So with the 12 foot rod, you might be better off with six to 10-foot line with tippet added, rather than a 12 or 15 foot line, which will probably be too much.

I use light furled leaders sometimes, rather than "official" Tenkara lines, especially in close quarters. The extra heft allows me to turn over a fly with a water load or a quick flip.

Sneaky does it!
fredaevans, ejsell and ponycarman like this.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

First trip trying tenkara today! Used my new fountainhead caddis 12ft and messed around with a makeshift cane pole too. Sadly no trout caught, just a couple tiny minnow sunfish.

It wasn't too bad navigating with the long rod. There were snags but not many really. Definitely no more than when I use western fly gear. It was fun!

The cane pole rig could cast ok. But it was noticeably heavier and the tip was so whippy it would do odd things with the casting. The fountainhead rod casted wonderfully. It was easy to be precise and put the fly right where I wanted most times. I'm still getting used to the casting and learning the techniques. I can see the allure. It is a super delecate presentation.

I will definitely be trying it again soon. Had a blast!

On a side note those plugs that go in the rod when collapsed must be cursed... lost mine 2 seconds after I pulled out the rod doh!
pszy22 and ejsell like this.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Tenkara and streams with cover

Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 21 Tenkara fly rod ... not heard of them so off to Google. 'Cheap as Chips!' Sent to you from Japan, you'd be hard pressed to spend $50.00 (plus shipping) to buy one.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:01 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponycarman View Post
On a side note those plugs that go in the rod when collapsed must be cursed... lost mine 2 seconds after I pulled out the rod doh!
It's just as well to get it out of the way quick. If you didn't lose it yesterday, you'll lose it tomorrow. It's not a matter of if, just a matter of when.

IF you take a look here, several options that I think work better than the original --

Tenkara DIY - Tenkara Fly Fishing

have fun,
ponycarman likes this.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
It's just as well to get it out of the way quick. If you didn't lose it yesterday, you'll lose it tomorrow. It's not a matter of if, just a matter of when.

IF you take a look here, several options that I think work better than the original --

Tenkara DIY - Tenkara Fly Fishing

have fun,
Already made one out of flip flop foam like on your website
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 21 Tenkara fly rod ... not heard of them so off to Google. 'Cheap as Chips!' Sent to you from Japan, you'd be hard pressed to spend $50.00 (plus shipping) to buy one.
"Sent to you from Japan". Uhoh, now the cat's out of the bag.
While I try hard to patronize local, then domestic, sellers as much as possible, with one exception my tenkara rods have all come directly from Japan.
A trip to a tackle store in Japan is mind blowing!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 PM

mlob1one is a jewel in the roughmlob1one is a jewel in the roughmlob1one is a jewel in the rough

I love my Tenkara rod. I bought mine off of tenkarabum.com. He's got great selection, good line, and just amazing tips and help.
My next rod is going to be the oni...
https://threeriverstenkara.com/produ...-rod-type-iii/

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
ponycarman likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Been on a tenkara binge lately lol. Grabbed a "triple zoom" rod from a Chinese maker and just grabbed a shimotsuke kiyotaki 24 coming from japan.
mlob1one likes this.