The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Travel Tips Section

Travel Tips Section Post your travel tips here

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 05:01 PM

wjlapier is on a distinguished road
Default Yellowstone>Tetons July 27-Aug 2 Suggestions

So, our family is taking a longer distance vacation than usual. Typically, about 2 weeks in Glacier National Park area but this year we're going to Yellowstone and the Tetons as well. Been to both before but only sight seeing. I'd like to try some fly fishing if I find the time. We are staying at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and Coulter Bay in the Tetons. Suggestions on where i can go fish and any info you could share would be awesome. Preparation is key so fill me in as much info as you can.

Of course the family wants to visit Yellowstone and Jackson, but I was hoping I could pull away from them early in the morning for some fishing before they woke up.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellowstone>Tetons July 27-Aug 2 Suggestions

Normally the fishing in the park starts out early in the season to be best on the west side of the park and as the summer progresses the best fishing slowly moves east, of course this all depends on the summer temps. By late summer you will find the best fishing in the NE area of the park (the Lamar valley), Lamar river, Slough creek, Soda Butte creek, Pebble creek.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 AM

wthorpe is just really nicewthorpe is just really nicewthorpe is just really nicewthorpe is just really nice

I agree with McNerney's post. I would only add that in July/august you might also consider teh Yellowstone R. in the park. Fishing there has improved some in recent years. There are not a large number of fish there typically, but experienced fishers have a legit shot at 20-22+" cutts. Great fish, hard to find, and hard to catch. (And sometimes more fishers than fish there.)

With summer traffic NE part of park is a pretty good haul from West Yellowstone. Without a map handy, i am gonna guess it is pushing two hours from west entrance (after you get thru) to say Lamar valley. Staying outside the park on teh west side, you will want to get in the park early every day, as traffic lines will back up pretty badly later in the morning.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 AM

chechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to behold

There are several pertinent old threads in the "Rocky Mountain Range" forum. Last summer I stayed in West Yellowstone during August, fished mostly in Hebgen Lake, and occasionally I drove to Lamar Valley. It's 70 miles. At daybreak there's NO TRAFFIC (but lots of critters in the road); by noon the drive takes 2 hours in traffic (longer if jammed by critter stops).

See the thread I posted last summer (page 2 has Lamar pics):
Hebgen Lake - August 2016 (photo heavy)
smilingduck likes this.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
... but this year we're going to Yellowstone and the Tetons as well. Been to both before but only sight seeing. I'd like to try some fly fishing if I find the time. We are staying at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and Coulter Bay in the Tetons. Suggestions on where i can go fish and any info you could share would be awesome. Preparation is key so fill me in as much info as you can.
Maybe others who are more familiar with the drainages and more importantly this year's snow pack and run off predictions, but I'm sure run off will be completed by then?

Regardless, if you're in West Yellowstone, you're a short distance away from the Madison inside and outside the park. I fished a section upstream from The Slide Inn and had some pretty good action, but then again, this was in late September.

You also have the Madison within the park, which is accessible from the main road where the western entrance is located. Access is pretty good along this stretch.

If you're willing to take a drive, I love fishing the Yellowstone near the Tower Creek junction, but take into account travel times from West Yellowstone. If the hoppers are out, this stretch can be fun.

There are smaller creeks as well, including Duck and Grayling, that are close to West Yellowstone, if smaller water is what you prefer. The South Fork of the Madison also is an ear shot away, although all I caught there were huge whitefish.

(One thing to consider is the fact that if you fish inside and outside the park, you'll need both a Montana and a Yellowstone license)

If you jam up north, the Gallatin River follows the highway. I've never fished there, so I can't tell you any specifics in regards to that.

Obviously, checking in with the local fly shops in West Yellowstone and buying a handful of local patterns will usually get the employees pointing you in the right direction.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:15 AM

chechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to beholdchechem is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
Maybe others who are more familiar with the drainages and more importantly this year's snow pack and run off predictions, but I'm sure run off will be completed by then?

Regardless, if you're in West Yellowstone, you're a short distance away from the Madison inside and outside the park. I fished a section upstream from The Slide Inn and had some pretty good action, but then again, this was in late September.

You also have the Madison within the park, which is accessible from the main road where the western entrance is located. Access is pretty good along this stretch.

If you're willing to take a drive, I love fishing the Yellowstone near the Tower Creek junction, but take into account travel times from West Yellowstone. If the hoppers are out, this stretch can be fun.

There are smaller creeks as well, including Duck and Grayling, that are close to West Yellowstone, if smaller water is what you prefer. The South Fork of the Madison also is an ear shot away, although all I caught there were huge whitefish.

(One thing to consider is the fact that if you fish inside and outside the park, you'll need both a Montana and a Yellowstone license)

If you jam up north, the Gallatin River follows the highway. I've never fished there, so I can't tell you any specifics in regards to that.

Obviously, checking in with the local fly shops in West Yellowstone and buying a handful of local patterns will usually get the employees pointing you in the right direction.
1. Yes, runoff should be done by the end of July. It's been a good year for snowfall, but by August 1st the NE streams should be fishable.

2. The Madison inside the park will be too warm by late July.

3. Gallatin should be good, and a section north of West Yellowstone is within the park (same license as elsewhere in YNP).

4. Madison at Slide-Inn area should be good then too.

ENJOY!!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 AM

wthorpe is just really nicewthorpe is just really nicewthorpe is just really nicewthorpe is just really nice

I forgot Gallatin in the park in my earlier post. It is less than 30 mins from West Y. i always take bear spray there, but then i am kinda chicken about 700 lb. bears. Smaller fish, smaller water, several miles of river parallel the road, and not usually crowded with fishers. Rising fish in the evenings sometimes.

Madison in YNP almost always done by August, and run up fish really start a bit later altho you might see an early bird in August. I have rarely fished Grayling, Duck, and S Fork Madison even tho i have a house in easy driving distance to all 3; i understand that they hold run up fish in spring, maybe fall. i have a sense that when the fish are in those places, it is heaven, and when not, you should just go fish somewhere else.

Madison outside park between lakes and below Slide Inn is 30ish mins from West and often fishing well in August.

Hebgen. I skipped it in my earlier post as it is outside the park. Our house is a mile from the lake. It fishes very well in August. A main attraction is calibaetis hatches, with fish eating dries, emergers and nymphs. And the fish are often big as in 20+". Big lake, best fished from a boat or float tube. And, unfortunately, it tends to get crowded mid morning in August when the calibaetises are doing their thing.

as long as we are now onto fishing outside the park, the Henry's Fork in Last Chance ID is actually closer to West Y than the NE section of the park. The Harriman Ranch, big, spooky fish, hard to catch, often fishes well in August with hoppers, ants and holdover hatches. If i recall correctly, it is 35 mins from "downtown" West Y to "the logjam" at the boundary to the Harriman Ranch. Two good fly shops there as well: Henry's Fork Anglers, and TroutHunter.
mcnerney and teardrop like this.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:47 AM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
So, our family is taking a longer distance vacation than usual. Typically, about 2 weeks in Glacier National Park area but this year we're going to Yellowstone and the Tetons as well. Been to both before but only sight seeing. I'd like to try some fly fishing if I find the time. We are staying at the Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and Coulter Bay in the Tetons. Suggestions on where i can go fish and any info you could share would be awesome. Preparation is key so fill me in as much info as you can.

Of course the family wants to visit Yellowstone and Jackson, but I was hoping I could pull away from them early in the morning for some fishing before they woke up.

Thanks!
Unh...the last sentence restricts the the locations that might be visited while at West Yellowstone and Jackson Lake. How early can you start fishing and when does the family wake up ???

PT/TB
mcnerney and k_e_v like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-20-2017, 09:13 AM

wjlapier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Unh...the last sentence restricts the the locations that might be visited while at West Yellowstone and Jackson Lake. How early can you start fishing and when does the family wake up ???

PT/TB
I'm an early riser so whatever time is necessary. Family gets moving around 9am. While in GNP ( actually we stay at the St Mary KOA ), I get up early and go into the park for my morning coffee and watch the sunrise.

Oh, and I meant Jackson, as in Jackson Hole--we stayed there when my wife was at a conference and had a great time but I know they would prefer to shop this time around.

I'm writing this all down and marking it on a map. Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely drop into a shop and seek more local advice and load up on flies as needed.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the local fly shops can give you good information on the public access points on the Snake river and Flat Creek in the Elk refuge opens up Aug 1 and it is 5 minutes from Jackson.