The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
I am about 2 minutes from Minnesota! I go to school at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse. I plan on hosing the Mississippi River backwaters this spring for pike.
Sounds like fun. I'm going to hit the Warroad end of the lake (Lake of the Woods) this Spring for Pike. It's about 5 hours North of Duluth.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Sounds like fun. I'm going to hit the Warroad end of the lake (Lake of the Woods) this Spring for Pike. It's about 5 hours North of Duluth.
what leader set up do you use for pike/musky Dan? and if you use a steel leader, how do you connect the leader to the fly? in barry reynolds' book, he said he uses a simple jam knot. ive tied a couple on with a jam knot, and i cant get the knot to slip, but ive never heard of anyone using a jam knot for that. how do you feel the jam knot would hold?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Starting at the fly and ending at the fly line......Twist melt at the fly. It's just what it sounds like. I use red american fishing wire, nylon covered. Put it through the eye and twist about 1 1/2" tightly, and while holding the fly and the leader, melt the nylon with a candle. You can use a lighter, but it needs a third hand.

Albright knot the double line end of a bimini twist to a bent U in the end of the steel. The Bimini twist before I albright knot it to the steel, I cut the end of the loop, furl the two lines and tie an overhand knot in the end, so it stays furled till you tie the albright knot.

Blood knot the sections of the leader. and a perfection loop loop at the rod end.

It's the old Larry Dahlberg setup. I've done it this way from the first time I used steel bite tippet and only this way. I have never used a jam knot. I've never had a problem with this rig. I sometimes use heavy mono instead of the steel. Like when I fish for Walleye in a spot full of big Pike. Walleye don't like steel, and Pike ..... well you know, toothy. I used an 8 lb. bimini and 30 lb. mono bite tippet all of the end of Fall. Works pretty good. Landed 2 big Pike that hit clousers while walleye fishing.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Dan,
Does the twist-melt method get annoying to do while youre fishing, if you switch flies? or do you set up different leaders with different flies prior to going out? i just did a couple twist-melts, and i was surprised how strong they were, i didnt realize that the nylon would fuse together like that. i usually make my leaders with twenty pound, nylon coated steel wire. what pound steel do you use usually?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

20 lb most of the time, but I have it up to 50. I have on occasion, done the twist melt to a snap or a split ring. Truthfully though, I use Reynold's Pike Flies most of the time, and Pike don't seem to care what color they are. Not much need to change flies. This has been a fool proof system for me. I have never had a twist melt come undone.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM

burtfishmonger will become famous soon enough

dan-

wondering what your thoughts would be about any open water on the mississippi here in Brainerd, below the dam there is some open water right now, water depths are unknown, thought i might get lucky and maybe find a pike or two
any tips or insight on what water type/structure to look for.

Would love to come up your way and hammer some fish on the fly, i have a cabin south of LOTW about 60 miles and need to get up there and check on it sometime this winter or early spring.

Paul Burton
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Banned

I have never fished the spot. How close can you get to the dam? Is there ice along the shore? Shelf ice is a sketchy deal at best in spots like that. What's the possibility of posting a photo?

Is your cabin down by Red Lake? 60 miles is darn near here. The best time in a normal year is the middle two weeks of April. The last two years however have been much later. year before last the ice didn't leave the lake till mid June, and not the beginning of June last year. It has been getting later for the last several years. Despite the nonsense coming from the IPCC. The ice does not have to be off the lake though, just the mouths of the rivers coming in. Warroad river usually being first. If you make it after the beginning of May you need a small boat with very little draft. Warroad again being best. I'll PM you my number, give me a call, and we'll see if you can't knock the big ones silly.
Dan
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

I'm in Moorhead (just across the river from Fargo, ND). I'm trying to get out fly fishing around here more.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkman View Post
I'm in Moorhead (just across the river from Fargo, ND). I'm trying to get out fly fishing around here more.
Have you tried to fly fish for Channel Cats yet? You have some pretty good Walleye there, and I have had pretty good luck fishing for them with clousers. I do a black leech pattern that should be good fo both fish.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 AM

arkman is on a distinguished road

Nope. Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out where to go. I've fished my entire life but only on one lake (for the most part), now I'm trying to learn how to find them and where to go. Any suggestions on where to go (I'm assuming you were referring to the Red River) I'm all ears I have a boat now so I can head out just about anywhere around here. Any suggestions by anyone let me know!

I'm heading up to the BWCA this spring, hopefully I'll get some fly fishing in.