The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

The Red has big Cats, the further North you go, the bigger they get. I've seen 12 lb. Walleye from there as well. There are Pike and all kinds of stuff in there. How big a boat did you get. The BWCA has portages to most off the lakes you may not want to dragging big boats across. Have you done the Boundary Waters before?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:37 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the confusion. The boat is not for the BWCA. We are taking the standard canoes up there. Its my 4th summer trip, I've been there in the winter a few times as well.

I have a 16 foot lund fishing boat. Nothing special, but I like it. I got it for a little over 100 bucks and been slowly fixing her up. I finally got my 1969 20hp merc running the middle of last summer so I spend some time (not enough) out fishing last year. I haven't been out on the Red yet. I dont even know where to go.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't fished it in the Fargo/Moorehead area, but I have up by Drayton. The thing about most rivers are the fish are pretty much through the whole thing. I really like under bridges. Most of the time when they build them, they put a lot of rock in there to keep the bottom stable. Great fish holding structure. Any rapids in the river or coming into the river will probably hold fish. Don't be afraid to toss flies way up in the fast water. Weed edges are good for Pike. So is under the bridges. Great Smallmouth in the BWCA. Fun place. Glad you cleared that up canoe thing up for me.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 PM

vapor10 is on a distinguished road

Im in Bloomington and Im the only "fly fisherman" I know. Never seen anyone here or anywhere near here doing it.

Teaching myself for the most part.

If anyone is near me and wants to fish and show a greenhorn some tricks let me know.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

I'm not exactly close to Bloomington but I am in Minnesota. Do you ever make it farther North?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 PM

vapor10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm not exactly close to Bloomington but I am in Minnesota. Do you ever make it farther North?
Not often at all. I wish I could.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Try this site, you may find someone here to fish with:

uppermidwestflyfishing.com
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

I realize this is kind of an older post, but I thought I would throw my hat in the ring.
I'm in Northern IA, but fish MN more than a couple of times a year (or at least hope to). The farthest north I go is Big Sandy Lake near McGregor (for now). Any advice on that area would be awesome. I'm also interested in the driftless region of MN if anyone has advice on that.

Also, first post...glad to be here!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome aboard iaflyguy! This site has a bunch of members with an absolute wealth of knowledge. I can't comment on the northern MN stuff, as I am merely a tourist when I am up there. However, I can probably be of some assistance with the Driftless questions you might have. What type of advice are you looking for? Hatches, flies, accesses?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for replying Ted.
I'm looking for pretty much all of the above. There's not many Trout streams in my area, so I pretty much fish for Pike, Bass, Gills, etc.
I quit smoking almost a year ago, so now FF is my new addiction and I can afford to do a little adventuring from time to time. I wanted to try some streams and fish something different than my usual and the driftless is within a drive so I thought I would start the research now.
Any help would be great!
I think mostly what I want to know now is what flies to tie or bring with me and where a good place to start would be. You know, what can I expect. All the really easy questions. LOL JK
I do fish the local river, but its pretty slow moving and isnt stocked with Trout.