The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

Well, hatches and flies will depend on the time of year you plan to fish. I'll stick to winter fishing for now, and we can address other seasons in another post.

You're going to want to fish slowly and deep in the pools that you find. Streamers such as wooly buggers in black, olive and purple all tend to work very well, as well as other streamer variations. I tend to stick with flies tied with some flash to them, but that's not necessary by any means. Same goes with nymphs. Your general nymphs to bring with during the winter will be pheasant tails, hares ears, scuds, midges, ect. Later on towards mid-late February start bringing some BWO emerger and dry patterns, as they will start to hatch if the weather is right. Midges you will find on our streams all year long. My experience has been that you'll want a long(~12') leader in 6-7x for casting those midge dry flies in January in February.

The trout will be very wary this time of year, so moving slow, staying low, and even avoiding bright colored clothes can be very helpful. Bring some split shots to help get those nymphs down as well.

Most days the best bite window will be during the warmest part of the day, as that is when the best hatches will occur.

Also, because Minnesota doesn't have as liberal of regulations as Iowa does, not all trout streams are open during the winter. All hooks must be barbless, so make sure you pinch any barbs on the flies you bring. For a reference on what stream sections are open to fish, refer to Winter stream trout fishing - Trout streams: Minnesota DNR

Which part of Iowa are you traveling from? I can help you narrow down an area to start if you need the help with that.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

That's good info Ted, thank you. Sounds like the transition wont be too bad.
Thanks for the heads up on the barbs. I try to pinch them when I tie them, but I know there are a few that got away from me. I will keep an eye on that.
I'm about a half an hour south of Blue Earth. I was hoping to get into some streams within an hour or two of windshield time. I don't know if that's possible or not, but I thought I would see what's out there.
Normally I wouldn't think of stream fishing in the winter, but this winter is not too much of an obstacle. LOL I may be going sooner than I originally thought. HaHa
Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I'm excited for winter fishing this year! Last opener, we had 3' of snow on the ground, which made getting around just about impossible without snowshoes. Right now there is no snow at all on the ground! Unbelievable.

If it was me, I'd head over to Forestville/MC SP area. There, you can fish the Root, Canfield, and Forestville. It's probably my favorite winter destination. All three are good streams with high trout/mile, and Forestville affords you this neat scenery:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Ok, I'm sold. That's awesome. That's not too bad of a drive either. Looks like a great day trip.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

If you want to stay in Iowa, Turtle Creek in St. Ansgar has a ton of stocked trout in it. It can experience summer kill, but the trout generally make it from year to year. It should only be an hour east of you.

As for winter fishing, my two goto flies are the size 6 olive wooly bugger and a size 22 black midge emerger.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
I've seen that picture before. Which stream is that from?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks Diamond Rush, that's a good call. That is about an hour or so and would be easy enough to get to. Then at least I wouldn't have to buy that non-resident license just yet. HaHa
Old 12-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post

I've seen that picture before. Which stream is that from?

It's from Forestville Creek
Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
It's from Forestville Creek
Thanks! Watson Creek has a similar start, but its all private land with no easements.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Dan, I just checked, and we're only 1358 miles from you. Might be a little too far for a weekend jaunt. But you never know...........
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Thanks! Watson Creek has a similar start, but its all private land with no easements.

No problem. Fishing near the cave isn't the best in my experience, but the hike more then makes up for it. Further downstream is a solid fishery though. If you are in the area, take the time to walk the mile or so up to the cave. It's very cool to see in person.