The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

Well, the weather forecast has been drastically changed. 25-50 mph winds and highs in the upper 20s. I'm still going fishing, but I'll have to find somewhere out of the wind.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

I feel your pain. A tree lined stream is a good thing on a day like today.
I'm wishing I had streams in my back yard, tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 40's and sunny.
My ice fishing friend is not in a good mood.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'm lucky, I guess, that I have family Christmas this weekend, so fishing on Sunday is out of the question. I am fishing Monday though, with forecast highs in the low 20's. There is another warmup in store for us later in the week too, so even if I have to deal with icy guides and frozen fingers one day, it looks like later in the week will be much better conditions.

I'm more pumped about no snow on the ground than anything else. I'll deal with the arctic temperatures, but not having any snow puts a smile on my face.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Ted, you just hit a source of sore debate that we are having around here. On one hand, I like not having to blow out my long country driveway and its easier to get around and not deal with drifts, but on the other hand we are so incredibly dry here that the lack of precipitation is concerning plus I have snowmobiles and I would like to get them out as well. I just cant decide how to feel. Our water isn't really iced over, but its not open either, so my fly tying kit is getting the most attention right now.
Good luck on your adventures.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Sketchy ice this time of year? Very unusual. Explore Okoboji :: News milt
Old 12-30-2011, 05:18 PM

You Bet! I was ice fishing on the 23rd and it was sketchy then. Those guys were nuts to go out there.
The first lake that I went on was about 3 inches thick. The ice bowed under our weight to the point where there was about an inch of water above the holes. Very nervous fishing. Not fun. The second lake we went on that day was much better, but it still cracked in some places.
We did have fun with some Perch though, so it was worth it in the end.
The weather is very odd. Tomorrow is suppose to get up to 50 degrees which IMHO is too warm for this time of year. Our slough is completely dry now and the lakes lost about 2 feet of water this last fall.
This isnt the first time this has happened, but its not too common. We are hoping to have more precip in Jan. or we could be in some trouble in the spring.
The good news is that the DNR restocked the Walleye in our local river over the summer and were afraid that with the drop in water level that there might be a total kill off. It may not turn out so bad.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Yeah, I hear you there. Its only because we got so much spring melt and rain March through June that there's any water at all. The lakes around here are all down 1-2', but this mild winter so far makes it look like we'll have very limited winter kill.

The trout streams in the SE part of the state are all running high still. It takes a long time for the bluffs to dry out.