Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I live up at Lake of the Woods. If you count Rainy River Ontario as part of here, we have around 5 or 6 fly fisherman in the entire area. How many of you live the general area? By general area I would say maybe 200 mile radius.
By the way, I'm clobbering big Walleye in the Rainy River right now. I let a 28"er go this evening. Blue/white clouser.

bekiu002

Reaction score
I'm near Monticello, a bit over 300 miles from you. Don't see too many fall rods around here either.
Cabot

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
I have a buddy that fishes all over the northern part of the state and NW Wisc. I'm trying to get him on here. I used to fish around Sherburne and Anoka County all the time but never that far up. Trying to plan a trip up there next year if you have any recommendations of where to go.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

And yes Dan, you are in the middle of absolute nowhere.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
That is the kind of area we are looking to go to for a good pike trip. A guy I know also wants to head that way to put some footage of throwing flies for pike in a video he is making so if it happens I'll let you know.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is the kind of area we are looking to go to for a good pike trip. A guy I know also wants to head that way to put some footage of throwing flies for pike in a video he is making so if it happens I'll let you know.
The best time to get some really big pike is in the last couple of weeks in April. It is not hard to get several over 40". If you come later in the summer, the tops of the reefs have some pretty big pike. I just lost the biggest Pike I have ever had on the other day in the river. I've been getting a few pretty big ones by accident walleye fishing. The real big one I lost the other day took me out into backing in a nonstop run with me running down the shore after it. It broke me off on sunken wood. If you get to where you have a plan put together give me a call. I'll PM you my number.

mak

Reaction score
Twin Cities now, but formerly native to Duluth and spent much of my years up in your neck of the woods.

rmooney

Reaction score
I am about 2 minutes from Minnesota! I go to school at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse. I plan on hosing the Mississippi River backwaters this spring for pike.

rmooney

Reaction score
Sounds like fun. I'm going to hit the Warroad end of the lake (Lake of the Woods) this Spring for Pike. It's about 5 hours North of Duluth.
what leader set up do you use for pike/musky Dan? and if you use a steel leader, how do you connect the leader to the fly? in barry reynolds' book, he said he uses a simple jam knot. ive tied a couple on with a jam knot, and i cant get the knot to slip, but ive never heard of anyone using a jam knot for that. how do you feel the jam knot would hold?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Starting at the fly and ending at the fly line......Twist melt at the fly. It's just what it sounds like. I use red american fishing wire, nylon covered. Put it through the eye and twist about 1 1/2" tightly, and while holding the fly and the leader, melt the nylon with a candle. You can use a lighter, but it needs a third hand.

Albright knot the double line end of a bimini twist to a bent U in the end of the steel. The Bimini twist before I albright knot it to the steel, I cut the end of the loop, furl the two lines and tie an overhand knot in the end, so it stays furled till you tie the albright knot.

Blood knot the sections of the leader. and a perfection loop loop at the rod end.

It's the old Larry Dahlberg setup. I've done it this way from the first time I used steel bite tippet and only this way. I have never used a jam knot. I've never had a problem with this rig. I sometimes use heavy mono instead of the steel. Like when I fish for Walleye in a spot full of big Pike. Walleye don't like steel, and Pike ..... well you know, toothy. I used an 8 lb. bimini and 30 lb. mono bite tippet all of the end of Fall. Works pretty good. Landed 2 big Pike that hit clousers while walleye fishing.

rmooney

Reaction score
Dan,
Does the twist-melt method get annoying to do while youre fishing, if you switch flies? or do you set up different leaders with different flies prior to going out? i just did a couple twist-melts, and i was surprised how strong they were, i didnt realize that the nylon would fuse together like that. i usually make my leaders with twenty pound, nylon coated steel wire. what pound steel do you use usually?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
20 lb most of the time, but I have it up to 50. I have on occasion, done the twist melt to a snap or a split ring. Truthfully though, I use Reynold's Pike Flies most of the time, and Pike don't seem to care what color they are. Not much need to change flies. This has been a fool proof system for me. I have never had a twist melt come undone.

Reaction score
dan-

wondering what your thoughts would be about any open water on the mississippi here in Brainerd, below the dam there is some open water right now, water depths are unknown, thought i might get lucky and maybe find a pike or two
any tips or insight on what water type/structure to look for.

Would love to come up your way and hammer some fish on the fly, i have a cabin south of LOTW about 60 miles and need to get up there and check on it sometime this winter or early spring.

Paul Burton

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have never fished the spot. How close can you get to the dam? Is there ice along the shore? Shelf ice is a sketchy deal at best in spots like that. What's the possibility of posting a photo?

Is your cabin down by Red Lake? 60 miles is darn near here. The best time in a normal year is the middle two weeks of April. The last two years however have been much later. year before last the ice didn't leave the lake till mid June, and not the beginning of June last year. It has been getting later for the last several years. Despite the nonsense coming from the IPCC. The ice does not have to be off the lake though, just the mouths of the rivers coming in. Warroad river usually being first. If you make it after the beginning of May you need a small boat with very little draft. Warroad again being best. I'll PM you my number, give me a call, and we'll see if you can't knock the big ones silly.
Dan

arkman

Reaction score
I'm in Moorhead (just across the river from Fargo, ND). I'm trying to get out fly fishing around here more.

arkman

Reaction score
Nope. Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out where to go. I've fished my entire life but only on one lake (for the most part), now I'm trying to learn how to find them and where to go. Any suggestions on where to go (I'm assuming you were referring to the Red River) I'm all ears:D I have a boat now so I can head out just about anywhere around here. Any suggestions by anyone let me know!

I'm heading up to the BWCA this spring, hopefully I'll get some fly fishing in.