The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Upper Mid-U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/upper-mid-u-s/)
-   -   Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/upper-mid-u-s/11513-any-n-minnesota-guys-gals-out-there.html)

Guest1 10-19-2009 12:03 AM

Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

I live up at Lake of the Woods. If you count Rainy River Ontario as part of here, we have around 5 or 6 fly fisherman in the entire area. How many of you live the general area? By general area I would say maybe 200 mile radius.
By the way, I'm clobbering big Walleye in the Rainy River right now. I let a 28"er go this evening. Blue/white clouser.

Guest1 10-25-2009 01:24 AM

Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

OK, how about we move it out to a 500 mi. radius. Jeez, I'm feeling isolated!

bekiu002 10-25-2009 08:21 PM

I'm near Monticello, a bit over 300 miles from you. Don't see too many fall rods around here either.
Cabot

troutdoorsman 10-26-2009 01:02 AM

I have a buddy that fishes all over the northern part of the state and NW Wisc. I'm trying to get him on here. I used to fish around Sherburne and Anoka County all the time but never that far up. Trying to plan a trip up there next year if you have any recommendations of where to go.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

And yes Dan, you are in the middle of absolute nowhere.

Guest1 10-29-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packfancjh (Post 70626)
And yes Dan, you are in the middle of absolute nowhere.

I keep telling people "it's not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from here." The fishing here is unbelievable. If you are looking for farther North, this is it. If you ever want to make it up this far, drop me a line.

troutdoorsman 10-29-2009 11:31 PM

That is the kind of area we are looking to go to for a good pike trip. A guy I know also wants to head that way to put some footage of throwing flies for pike in a video he is making so if it happens I'll let you know.

Guest1 10-30-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packfancjh (Post 71043)
That is the kind of area we are looking to go to for a good pike trip. A guy I know also wants to head that way to put some footage of throwing flies for pike in a video he is making so if it happens I'll let you know.

The best time to get some really big pike is in the last couple of weeks in April. It is not hard to get several over 40". If you come later in the summer, the tops of the reefs have some pretty big pike. I just lost the biggest Pike I have ever had on the other day in the river. I've been getting a few pretty big ones by accident walleye fishing. The real big one I lost the other day took me out into backing in a nonstop run with me running down the shore after it. It broke me off on sunken wood. If you get to where you have a plan put together give me a call. I'll PM you my number.

troutdoorsman 10-30-2009 11:38 PM

Sounds like a good place to go, will do on the call.

mak 02-04-2010 10:20 PM

Twin Cities now, but formerly native to Duluth and spent much of my years up in your neck of the woods.

rmooney 02-04-2010 11:52 PM

I am about 2 minutes from Minnesota! I go to school at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse. I plan on hosing the Mississippi River backwaters this spring for pike.