The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

I live up at Lake of the Woods. If you count Rainy River Ontario as part of here, we have around 5 or 6 fly fisherman in the entire area. How many of you live the general area? By general area I would say maybe 200 mile radius.
By the way, I'm clobbering big Walleye in the Rainy River right now. I let a 28"er go this evening. Blue/white clouser.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any N. Minnesota guys and gals out there?

OK, how about we move it out to a 500 mi. radius. Jeez, I'm feeling isolated!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:21 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I'm near Monticello, a bit over 300 miles from you. Don't see too many fall rods around here either.
Cabot
Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have a buddy that fishes all over the northern part of the state and NW Wisc. I'm trying to get him on here. I used to fish around Sherburne and Anoka County all the time but never that far up. Trying to plan a trip up there next year if you have any recommendations of where to go.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

And yes Dan, you are in the middle of absolute nowhere.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
And yes Dan, you are in the middle of absolute nowhere.
I keep telling people "it's not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from here." The fishing here is unbelievable. If you are looking for farther North, this is it. If you ever want to make it up this far, drop me a line.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

That is the kind of area we are looking to go to for a good pike trip. A guy I know also wants to head that way to put some footage of throwing flies for pike in a video he is making so if it happens I'll let you know.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
That is the kind of area we are looking to go to for a good pike trip. A guy I know also wants to head that way to put some footage of throwing flies for pike in a video he is making so if it happens I'll let you know.
The best time to get some really big pike is in the last couple of weeks in April. It is not hard to get several over 40". If you come later in the summer, the tops of the reefs have some pretty big pike. I just lost the biggest Pike I have ever had on the other day in the river. I've been getting a few pretty big ones by accident walleye fishing. The real big one I lost the other day took me out into backing in a nonstop run with me running down the shore after it. It broke me off on sunken wood. If you get to where you have a plan put together give me a call. I'll PM you my number.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Sounds like a good place to go, will do on the call.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

mak is on a distinguished road

Twin Cities now, but formerly native to Duluth and spent much of my years up in your neck of the woods.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

I am about 2 minutes from Minnesota! I go to school at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse. I plan on hosing the Mississippi River backwaters this spring for pike.