The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 02:32 PM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough
Default Driftless in Mid-May?

Headed to Chicago for a wedding the weekend of May 15th, and may take a few days on either end to scope out the fishing in Wisconsin's driftless. Anyone know what hatches (if any) to expect that time of year?

For now I'm planning to visit streams based off WI DNR's pdf maps. But if anyone wanted to PM a few likely places for tiger trout, it'd be greatly appreciated
Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Driftless in Mid-May?

The Driftless Angler is a local shop in Viroqua Wisconsin. They have hatch charts on their website.

-Forrest
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

check your PMs

Tigers are really aggressive

any nymph will fool a tiger.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 AM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

I've never looked for or caught a Tiger, but the last time I went through as a traveler, the Driftless Angler in Viroqua hooked me up with locations and flies that caught brookes and browns.

- Jonesy

Edit- Just realized [U]which[U] Len Harris is posting above me. I'd imagine a pm from that gentleman is pure gold. I have no business posting anything beyond his insight to the area. But, for the record, the Driftless Angler folks were very helpful.

Last edited by chrome_jones; 04-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiii View Post
Headed to Chicago for a wedding the weekend of May 15th, and may take a few days on either end to scope out the fishing in Wisconsin's driftless. Anyone know what hatches (if any) to expect that time of year?

For now I'm planning to visit streams based off WI DNR's pdf maps. But if anyone wanted to PM a few likely places for tiger trout, it'd be greatly appreciated
BWOs should still be going 16s and 18s, but the go to hatches that time of year are CADDIS, CADDIS. CADDIS!! If the season goes the way it usually does there will be times when the water actually boils with rising/crashing trout chasing caddis emergers. And if the weather stays warm like its been you might even get a few craneflies starting. For some reason, more than any other place I've fished, the trout in the Driftless area absolutely love the craneflies!! Good Luck!!