The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 01:56 AM

barberc6864 has a spectacular aura aboutbarberc6864 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First trip of the year/ever (IA)

Angler,

Thanks for the tips. That day I was planning on heading further downstream, but about the time I was getting ready to start working my way down three or four other fisherman had beat me to it. I guess it was such a nice day and I wasn't the only one who could sneak away from work on a friday.

I have all of this coming week off though. Weather looks kind of hit and miss for the week, but the last I checked monday was looking pretty good. If the weather holds I'll have to give it another go.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I snet you a PM as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

I live in Cedar Rapids and purchase all my stuff from chifly.com. They are a nice shop in Chicago. I have been there a few times.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 AM

barberc6864 has a spectacular aura aboutbarberc6864 has a spectacular aura about

Went out monday for my 2nd FFing adventure. Water was a bit higher with all the runoff we've been having. Although I layed another goose egg, I ran into another angler who was gracious enough to give me a quick casting lesson which helped immensely. Also gave me some other pointers on indicator fishing with a double blood leach/nymph double rig. This was at the Little Turkey and as I was leaving a old local boy fishing a homemade boo rod showed me the river otter tracks and said they had nearly eliminated all trout in that stream. No hits, no fish, but learned some important lessons and my casting had greatly improved by the end of the day.

Went out today to a new stream and on about my 5th or 6th cast I caught my first trout fly fishing. The monkey was off my back and a wave of jubilation and relief washed over me. It was a pretty typical Iowa brown trout, but it was my first and I won't ever forget it. Also, it was on some resemblance of a prince nymph that I had just tied for the first time the night before. For me, that made it even sweeter.

I followed up my first fish with a fingerling brown about three casts later. Then, an average rainbow, followed by a by another fingerling brown, and another good bow that got off at my feet. All five came from the same hole but the last two were caught on a pheasant tail that I had tied.

I didn't have another strike the rest of the day but it is a day that I won't soon forget. Even though I enjoy eating trout now and then I released all fish. I know that the browns reproduce naturally in that stream, and it just felt like the right thing to do. Even though they were no monsters, those fish were special to me.

Pictures to follow, as soon as I figure out how to post them
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberc6864 View Post
Went out monday for my 2nd FFing adventure. Water was a bit higher with all the runoff we've been having. Although I layed another goose egg, I ran into another angler who was gracious enough to give me a quick casting lesson which helped immensely. Also gave me some other pointers on indicator fishing with a double blood leach/nymph double rig. This was at the Little Turkey and as I was leaving a old local boy fishing a homemade boo rod showed me the river otter tracks and said they had nearly eliminated all trout in that stream. No hits, no fish, but learned some important lessons and my casting had greatly improved by the end of the day.

Went out today to a new stream and on about my 5th or 6th cast I caught my first trout fly fishing. The monkey was off my back and a wave of jubilation and relief washed over me. It was a pretty typical Iowa brown trout, but it was my first and I won't ever forget it. Also, it was on some resemblance of a prince nymph that I had just tied for the first time the night before. For me, that made it even sweeter.

I followed up my first fish with a fingerling brown about three casts later. Then, an average rainbow, followed by a by another fingerling brown, and another good bow that got off at my feet. All five came from the same hole but the last two were caught on a pheasant tail that I had tied.

I didn't have another strike the rest of the day but it is a day that I won't soon forget. Even though I enjoy eating trout now and then I released all fish. I know that the browns reproduce naturally in that stream, and it just felt like the right thing to do. Even though they were no monsters, those fish were special to me.

Pictures to follow, as soon as I figure out how to post them
It's always a good feeling to catch fish of any size. Congrats on kicking the monkey Save that fly you tied and caught fish on... it would look nice next to a picture of the fish on your tying desk.

Thanks for sharing your day, I'm hoping tomorrow goes similar for me.

Justin