The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:43 PM

burtfishmonger will become famous soon enough
Default sssshhhhhhh....steelhead

Not too many have heard yet due to the early spring, but get those steelie setups ready and head to duluth!
I am gonna try and get there early next week!

That is all i have to say about that.

Drop me a line if you wanna meet up, i always have beer!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sssshhhhhhh....steelhead

Have fun with your Steelies. It is so much fun to fight a fish with strength, acrobatics, and speed. I'm just happy to hook into one and feel a tight line for a minute. If the fish throws the hook, I'm a happy camper.

The spring run is happening in Northern California, too. But the fun thing is that these fish are smaller (16 to 22 inches). Lighter weight gear gets to be used. I like breaking out the 5 weight for these fish.

MP
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sssshhhhhhh....steelhead

I don't know about spring being so early. It has not been above 12 degrees today and made it down to 2 last night. It's 10 right now. The last two years may just be making you think it's early because it skipped spring altogether, going from winter to summer about mid June. Actually, the year before last it went from winter to spring about mid June and skipped summer altoghether, going into winter in September. I'm 5 hours North of Duluth, so it can't be that much different than here. I'll grant that it is earlier than the last two years, but we had ice on the lake for a month after fishing opener year before last and till the first week in June last year. We still have people driving trucks on the lake right now. As far as spring goes, I'll let you know when it makes it here.(blue for frozen)