The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Heading to the Boundry Waters

I head out Wednesday morning the my annual trip to the Boundary Waters. I'll be out there for 4 days and I'm hoping to do a lot of fly fishing for small mouth and pike. I haven't done much fly fishing up there but I always want to. This is the year! No matter what the rest of my group says!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Heading to the Boundry Waters

Should be a fun trip just watch out for the crazies up there.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Just made it back last night. It was a good time. It rained a lot up there, that was kind of a bummer but thats ok. I did terrible at fishing. I didn't get anything on my fly rod, and only got a couple really small smallmouth. Our group caught 5 20"+ walleye and a few smaller. I just got left out.

Not sure what crazies you mean. We met a few nice groups out there. Had lots of fun. A trip I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys the outdoors.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

arkman: Thanks for posting the trip report even though the wx or fish weren't cooperating. It has been raining on and off now for a week here, but it looks like the big storm sitting on us is finally going to move off to the east.

Larry
Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi arkman,

Well that is a bummer isn't it. That doesn't sound like what you would expect in the Boundary waters. There should have been a ton of Smallmouth.

Frank
Old 06-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Yeah it was a bummer, but all in all it was a good trip. There is defiantly something to be said about seeing the smile on a 7 year olds face when he gets to tell everyone that he caught 2 20" walleye. Even though he wasn't my kid I was sure proud of him. There was also a big smile on my step dads face when he landed his first walleye - 19" not too shabby. I just wish I could have got my nephew on his first fish, I couldn't get either of us anything.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

A few years ago there was a news report about a group of locals up there that were tormenting campers by running around thier campsites hollering and shooting guns trying to scare the **** out of them. They got busted but only got slapped with a fine. Don't remember where exactly but it was in the BWCA. Good to hear you had fun!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:46 PM

Yeah I heard that story. Luckily there isn't too many crazies up there. I think they did get more then a fine though...if I recall they got more then fines. I cant find any updated articles but I know at one point there were charges files. Several charges were filed for each person. At any rate, scary stuff...but that doesn't happen up there. Don't let that scare you off...its a great place to be.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 AM

I recently heard that the guy firing the gun got at least 9 months in jail but the rest of them got community service. My uncle and cousin just got back from their yearly trip up there and said the fishing was great.