The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 PM

masterpuppet is on a distinguished road
Default today learned more

When out with my son the last two days. Only two fish but still learning. Yesterday learned that the better the presentation the better chance to catch fish. I cast over 20 times with nothing, slowed down elbow in no wrist, first cast small brookie.

Today learned rt fly then you catch fish. Didn't see anything thing on the surface very little rising. Once about every 15 minutes. Talked with a few guys as they left and they said "they were hitting Adams." I tied a Hair Caddies going by the chart Son ties a Adams third cast I land a small Brookie son nothing. Go with your gut.

With all that said I have a few questions.
The fish today I cast the fly on the edge of the faster current and the fish hit it as it entered the faster current. Is that normal?
With nothing rising what is the best option? Midge or what/

Thanks for the input still learning.

P.S. Did limit out on trees and tall weeds.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: today learned more

I don't do much trout fishing, but have also learned that presentation is often more important than the pattern being used. This actually applies to most fishing, not just with flies.

It's also usually important where you cast, especially in moving water. Generally, trout or other species won't want to fight a strong current to get to a small meal. Not enough gained from the energy expended. I've had many instances where I found that I had to make repeated casts to get a strike. My theory is that until the strike happened, I had either not placed the fly in a position to be taken without excess energy being expended, in other words the "strike zone", or the fish was not actively feeding & my repeatedly showing it the fly annoyed it enough to strike. I think that both situations happen often enough, but we don't really know why the fish strike. Of course, there is also the mistakes in presentation, such as drag on the fly that may be alerting the fish to the fake. Line control is critical for a proper & natural appearing presentation, and we don't always do everything correctly.

As far as what flies to use when there's no hatch, that may depend on the water your fishing and time of year. I usually will go to either terrestrials, nymphs or streamers for searching. I like terrestrials in particular because topwater is more fun to use, but also because slight mistakes in presentation are not usually critical. When a beetle, hopper or ant fall to the water, it's not always delicate, and trout & other species are used to that.

I fish for stream bass much more than for trout, so have become accustomed to using large nymphs & streamers. They do however also work on trout.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice from BigJim--

As far as flies to try when trout aren't rising, this time of year a small terrestrial like an Ant or Beetle pattern would be a good choice for a dry fly if you have long slow stretches with a lot of vegetation along the banks-- if you see or hear a lot of hoppers buzzing around as you walk to the stream, they could be a good bet also.

You could also try a subsurface pattern if you're not getting any action. Nymphs tend to be a bit harder to fish, but you could swing a wet fly like a soft hackle by casting down and slightly across stream and let it swing in the current below you-- it's a good way to cover a lot of water.

As far as where to find trout, "current seams" (where 2 different speeds of current meet) are a great place to find trout. Fish can hold easily on the side with slower current and watch for food to come by on the conveyor belt of faster current. It sounds like that trout you hooked might have been holding in the slower water and zipped out into faster current to whack your fly as it raced past. You'll often find seams shaped like a "V" below rocks or other structure that breaks swift current, at the head or tail out of pools, or at the edge of slack water and moving water in pocket water behind obstructions on fast water sections like riffles and rapids. Look for bubble lines-- they're a good indication of a seam.

Here's a good article from Midcurrent about reading a trout stream that might help identify good holding water and help eliminate water like shallow flats that are more likely to be barren especially in high summer temps.-- Reading the Water | MidCurrent
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

In southeast minnesota, if you don't see fish on the rise, try a size 12 bead-head brown scud. Or a size 16 prince nymph. Or preferably both at the same time.