The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 AM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing Des Moines, Iowa

Iím looking for some recommendations for the Des Moines, Iowa area. I have heard Wipers can be caught below some of the dams. How is the smallmouth fishing in the local rivers? Finally, how far do I really need to go to get into some good trout fishing in the Driftless Region or neighboring states?
Old 03-25-2012, 06:51 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing Des Moines, Iowa

Im probably not the greatest help, but Ive heard good things of Turtle creek located about 1/2 mile north of St. Ansgar off of Highway 218.
I would also check out Wapsi river trout section. That is located 0.5 mile west of McIntire.
They are both in Mitchell county.
IA DNR just finished updating their trout info webpages and there is a lot of good info there.

Good luck and let me know what you find.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing Des Moines, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
I’m looking for some recommendations for the Des Moines, Iowa area. I have heard Wipers can be caught below some of the dams. How is the smallmouth fishing in the local rivers? Finally, how far do I really need to go to get into some good trout fishing in the Driftless Region or neighboring states?
The Complete Guide to Iowa Trout Streams The 2ND Avenue Fly Shop, Des Moines, IA. The proprietor wrote the the book. milt. Also would know the immediate D.M. area.

Last edited by milt spawn; 03-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.