The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough
Default Autumn Fishing WI & UP

Hey folks,

It looks like I may have some time off in mid September, and I'm looking hard at fishing Wisconsin and northern Michigan. I'd like to do a mix of coldwater and warmwater fishing (trout, smallmouth, pike, muskie?), maybe do a multiday river float up there...options are pretty broad at this point. But I haven't spent much time up that way, and I was wondering...what sort of weather can I expect? Is there a substantial warmwater/topwater (smallmouth) bite still goin' on that time of year? Anyone with any thoughts/tips/ideas? it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Tom.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Autumn Fishing WI & UP

global warming. , never fished it, good luck...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Autumn Fishing WI & UP

Smallmouth should still be biting hard, although the topwater bite may not be so prevalent.

If you have a chance to target musky, this is the time to do it. The bite only gets better the further into fall we move.

Check out Hayward, WI if you want to find a mix of both warm and coldwater fishing. There are plenty of guides there that do float trips for smallmouth/musky/pike. Plus there are plenty of trout streams up there to help you get your cold water fix too.