The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Upper Mid-U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/upper-mid-u-s/)
-   -   Anyone here from east central Iowa? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/upper-mid-u-s/306279-anyone-here-east-central-iowa.html)

codypom 12-26-2012 04:30 PM

Anyone here from east central Iowa?

Just checking to see if there is anybody here from east central Iowa, more specifically in the Cedar Rapids area?

trouthound13 12-27-2012 09:33 PM

Re: Anyone here from east central Iowa?

Close, just north of the quad cities.

codypom 12-28-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouthound13 (Post 510830)
Close, just north of the quad cities.

Thanks for chiming in, although I rarely get over that direction. So where do you do your fly fishing, and what species to you target?

williamhj 12-28-2012 09:11 PM

Is there much fishing near Cedar Rapids? I periodically pass through La Porte City on my way back to Chicago. Stop by the cemetery when I have time on the drive.

mbchilton 12-29-2012 09:40 AM

I live in Des Moines. Coming over to your neck of the woods on New Year's Day for some winter fishing.

codypom 12-29-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 511081)
Is there much fishing near Cedar Rapids? I periodically pass through La Porte City on my way back to Chicago. Stop by the cemetery when I have time on the drive.

The Cedar River is a great place to fish. The area I fish is upstream from Cedar Rapids and it has some incredible walleye and smallmouth, plus the usual catfish and carp. The backwater lakes have some nice northerns, and I have caught a few largemouth and crappie there too.

There are several small man-made lakes around that are really nice, but fished heavily. One is even stocked with trout. There is a short stream that is stocked with trout, I have not heard good things about it and it is right next to the interstate. Not my idea of a place I would want to fish.

Fishing is pretty strong here, but I have yet to find a fly fisherman and that makes learning pretty difficult. That is why I am thankful for all of the wonderful knowledge on this site.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbchilton (Post 511198)
I live in Des Moines. Coming over to your neck of the woods on New Year's Day for some winter fishing.

Ice fishing? It's all iced over now. Last year the Cedar River stayed open all winter, it was in the 40's on New Years day and I was out fishing. Not this year...

mbchilton 12-29-2012 11:25 AM

Planning to hit Mcloud. It's still flowing, isn't it? If not, maybe I'll drive up to Manchester.

codypom 12-29-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbchilton (Post 511226)
Planning to hit Mcloud. It's still flowing, isn't it? If not, maybe I'll drive up to Manchester.

I don't know if it is or not. If I were you, I would go to Manchester. It would be much more peaceful.

mittler 01-01-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codypom (Post 511330)
I don't know if it is or not. If I were you, I would go to Manchester. It would be much more peaceful.

Just south of Cedar Rapids in the Amana area. Pretty new to the fly fishing approach but determined to spend more time this year giving it a try. Have spent most of my stream time around Manchester & Wadena.

bigpikeflies 01-02-2013 12:09 PM

I live in Cedar Rapids. Contact me and we can get together sometime to fish or tie a few flies.