The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM

bigjoexd is on a distinguished road
Default Iowa City Area

Hey y'all,

I'm going to be moving to Iowa City here in a few months for a new job. I've been trying to search online for some decent ground to fish but haven't had much luck. Could anyone here recommend a few places for trout (fly fish), walleye, or small and large mouth? Anywhere within an hour or two drive is fine by me as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BigJoeXD
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Iowa City Area

When I lived in Iowa City a long long time ago we fished on the Iowa River. Most of my fishing was below the dam in Iowa City, near the University and below the dam in Coralville. We did not fly fish but we did catch a lot of Northern Pike and a few Walleye Pike on jigs. I would think that a fly rod would produce similar results if the fish are still present. As I remember the dam in Iowa City was the first dam on the Iowa River between Iowa City and the Mississippi river and we caught more fish there. This site was about three blocks from my laboratory and I would take my catch home on my 65cc Honda.

There were lots of carp at the Iowa City, Burlington Av, site. The carp might provide great sport and I can remember Mennonites with burlap bags of carp so full that it took two men to get them up the bank. The carp were smoked in old refrigerators with porcelain interiors and said to be a delicacy.

jlb
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborn View Post
When I lived in Iowa City a long long time ago we fished on the Iowa River. Most of my fishing was below the dam in Iowa City, near the University and below the dam in Coralville. We did not fly fish but we did catch a lot of Northern Pike and a few Walleye Pike on jigs. I would think that a fly rod would produce similar results if the fish are still present. As I remember the dam in Iowa City was the first dam on the Iowa River between Iowa City and the Mississippi river and we caught more fish there. This site was about three blocks from my laboratory and I would take my catch home on my 65cc Honda.

There were lots of carp at the Iowa City, Burlington Av, site. The carp might provide great sport and I can remember Mennonites with burlap bags of carp so full that it took two men to get them up the bank. The carp were smoked in old refrigerators with porcelain interiors and said to be a delicacy.

jlb
If there is a heaven... Smoked carp is served there... It is absolutely delicious... Similar to smoked Whitefish.. But about 100x oilier
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to Iowa! We're quite proud of our state. You're just a couple hours south of Iowa trout country. Lake Macbride has decent bass fishing (they even have spots). As already mentioned, the Iowa River that runs through the middle of town has some good walleye and northern fishing. Lake Sugema is maybe 1.5 - 2 hrs from Iowa City, and is an excellent bass lake.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road

There is an old rock quarry in Cedar Rapids (depending on where you are it is probably about an hour or less from IA City) that is stocked with trout. Here is more info: http://www.cedar-rapids.org/resident...s/default.aspx There are two boat ramps: one on the lake and one on the Cedar River. The Cedar River is full of smallmouth, walleye, northern pike, carp, etc... Just up stream from the lake is a stretch of shoreline that is lined with riprap that looks perfect for walleye and smallmouth. I haven't spent much time fishing there, but it looks perfect. Good Luck and welcome to Iowa.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM

bigjoexd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips and the welcome's guys! Hopefully I'll have some time on the weekends to check out some of the spots mentioned and give 'em a try. I imagine work will be keeping me pretty busy during the week.

If you know of any other cool things to do that aren't fishing related in the IC/CR area I'm all ears as well. Along with fishing spots I've also been searching the web for shooting ranges (bow, rifle, skeet), gun shops, fly shops, bow shops, etc.

Just trying to get ahead and do my homework on the area before moving out there. That way I'm not at a loss when I actually get out there and wasting precious hours trying to find places when I could be fishing.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexd View Post
Thanks for the tips and the welcome's guys! Hopefully I'll have some time on the weekends to check out some of the spots mentioned and give 'em a try. I imagine work will be keeping me pretty busy during the week.

If you know of any other cool things to do that aren't fishing related in the IC/CR area I'm all ears as well. Along with fishing spots I've also been searching the web for shooting ranges (bow, rifle, skeet), gun shops, fly shops, bow shops, etc.

Just trying to get ahead and do my homework on the area before moving out there. That way I'm not at a loss when I actually get out there and wasting precious hours trying to find places when I could be fishing.
There is a lot going on in terms of music/arts. Iowa City is a University town, Cedar Rapids a factory town and they both have their strong points. I love the Pedestrian Mall in Iowa City and the Bohemian District in Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids has a hockey team and a baseball team, and of course there is the Iowa Hawkeyes. There are a lot of great places to go fishing, boating, camping, etc. between the two. I think that Coralville Lake has some mountain bike trails in an area called Sugarbottom, although I have never been there.