The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Bass Lake MN

I'm looking for information on Bass Lake MN. To clarify, this is the lake directly north of North Twin Lake in Beltrami County. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bass Lake MN

Not sure which bass your talking about,as there are a few in Beltrami County from the looks of it. I know nothing about any of them, but the DNR has some info posted up for you.

Lake information report: Minnesota DNR

Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

You found it! It's the third one down. I couldn't find info anywhere. My father-in-law mentioned taking me there. He's not a big fisherman, and didn't know much about it. I was mostly curious as to what kind of fish it has. He talked about bass, but I didn't know if they were smallmouth of largemouth. It looks like only largemouth in this lake.

Thank you.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

No problem.

Google MN DNR Lakefinder if you have questions on more lakes. It's super easy to use, and has some great information on it.

My recommendation would be to make the drive over to one of the bigger lakes and try to find a boat rental. Winni, Cass, Bemidji all have fantastic musky populations if you want to give that a try. There is also a plethora of guides in the area if that works better for you, although I don't know of any fly fishing guides. That is prime fishing territory up there, so you won't have any problem finding your target species. My only recommendation would be to bring a sink line, as many of those lakes get really deep and have limited shallow water opportunities. They are great swimming lakes though!

Have fun.