The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM

redwing is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing NE Iowa

Just got done fishing the French and Waterloo creek along with ensign hollow for 3 days. Very nice creeks and both the french had large fish just very hard to not spook and catch. Saw lots of wild parsnip and stayed clear thanks for the tip.

Camp was nice for 2 nights at french creek and was going to camp at ensign hollow but rain was on its way and I was only 60miles from waterloo. On another trip 2 weeks ago I fished spring branch lots of big fish and hard to catch.

Thanks to all the good info everyone gave me. Will plan on fishing Iowa when I visit my son.

Tom
mcnerney and mbchilton like this.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Fishing NE Iowa

Next tme drive further north and get into southeast Minnesota: lots more public water to fish and way fewer stocked ranbows. Same type of terrain and fishing.
diamond rush likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
Next tme drive further north and get into southeast Minnesota: lots more public water to fish and way fewer stocked ranbows. Same type of terrain and fishing.
Seconding this. Iowa takes the approach of extensively stocking the streams. Minnesota takes the approach of improving streams to hold more wild trout.

I think they go a bit overboard and create what I think of as "Trout Themeparks" like Trout Run and parts of Whitewater. But people seem to love 'em. These improvements can double or triple the carrying capacity of a stream, though.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Seconding this. Iowa takes the approach of extensively stocking the streams. Minnesota takes the approach of improving streams to hold more wild trout.

I think they go a bit overboard and create what I think of as "Trout Themeparks" like Trout Run and parts of Whitewater. But people seem to love 'em. These improvements can double or triple the carrying capacity of a stream, though.
It's not really a choice in Iowa. We don't have near the budget of MN and WI. Yet...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM

French creek and Ensign hollow are not stocked and only have native brown trout. FC has some very big browns. I will like in to SE MN next I am staying with my son. I get to go home next week and fish in CO much different fishing.

Tom
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
It's not really a choice in Iowa. We don't have near the budget of MN and WI. Yet...
It's my impression that the Iowa fishery approach is more stocking and less land acquisition. Minnesota and Wisconsin have a ton more eased and accessible water than Iowa. Securing land easements would be a place to start. I'm not ripping Iowa. It is what it is.

Agreed on the the theme park approach. However, considering the recurring theme of hundred year floods in southeast MN, Trout Run's "gold course" has held up pretty well. Someday, when TU and DNR get tired of lunkers, cribs, and rocks, they may actually consider more of the soft armor approach. Someday....
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Iowa also has the disadvantages of having fewer miles of trout streams total and having higher fishing pressure per mile of stream. Iowa is also further south and warmer so they have to deal with more summer kill in places.

I'm not knocking Iowa either; it's just that they face larger challenges than Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

The DNR and Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation are working together to acquire land, and have made good progress in the last couple years. We do have many streams that are just stocked, but it's because we don't have the quality of streams MN and WI have. I've started to get involved with the local TU chapter, and a big part of our issue is awareness and money. There are a lot of Iowans who don't even know we have trout in the state. I have a goal to change that

By the way, I'm making a trip to SE MN this weekend to hunt for Mr. Brown Trout.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM

Good luck in your quest. Mr. Brown Trout preferred the dropper over the dry yesterday, but that could change once the weather warms back up.
mbchilton likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM

Gents,

Where would you tell me to go in SE or Southern MN for native trout for catch and release only with camping close by.

Tom