The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Re: minnesota trout fishing

Yes, the Winter C&R season is barbless only. Part of the rule changes, that last I heard were held up again, are to remove the barbless restriction.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Not to be a troll, but doesn't one fish for trout in Minn. in winter through the ice? Heck, we do that in Co., too.

Might make for an interesting change of pace, just sayin'.

CAB
Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Not to be a troll, but doesn't one fish for trout in Minn. in winter through the ice? Heck, we do that in Co., too.

CAB
Can't speak about MN, but most Iowa spring creeks don't freeze much in a normal winter. Certainly not enough to ice fish. Sure I'll be corrected soon if I am misinformed about MN trout streams.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:04 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

CAB
Southeast Minnesota is all spring creeks, which stay around 40F all winter long. Winter fishing is a bit slow due to the cooler water, but still can be very productive if you know what you're doing. Some ice forms on still water, but the channels and currents all stay open.

It's one of my favorite times to fish that area because it is jaw-droppingly beautiful. When the sun shines down to the bottom of the stream and warms up the rocks, you can get midge hatches that result in excellent dry fly fishing. Olive wooly buggers and small stone nymphs are also very productive.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:11 AM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Quote:

CAB
If you could pick between the two, which would you take?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
fishiowa likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Hmm,

A place famous for ice fishing makes for CROWDS- logical, but didn't think about that. Thanks for the pointer.

Constant or near constant water temps and flows- sounds like tailwater fishing minus the CROWDS. Modern clothing keeps us warm, now all we have to do is keep the guides from icing up.

I probably shouldn't be talking up icefishing so much anyway. I've had 1 good day in 3 years (didn't catch even a cold last year). Been thinking about selling or trading the ice gear lately.

Again, thanks for the info.

I Sit Corrected,
CAB
Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Cab,

Ted's holding out on you big time. He showed you the slums, now ask him for pics of Minnesota ice trailer village on Mille Lacs. Bunks, satellite flatscreen TV, heated, propane grills. They can fish and watch their Vikings get their butts kicked without even wearing a coat.

Got a feeling I might hear about that last comment
Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 AM

diamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of lightdiamond rush is a glorious beacon of light

In my home town in rural Minnesota, the cops once busted a prostitution ring that was operating out of ice-houses. Also, the local pizza joints will deliver out on the ice to ice houses.

ia_trouter,
I tell people that being a Vikings fan is like being in love with an alcoholic.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM

WARNING: POSSIBLE THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes, I'm aware of the 5 star ice fishing resorts out there. It's not the comforts or lack thereof, it's the CROWDS.

No comment on the prostitution thing- this is a nice, clean forum.

When ice fishing is good, it's a blast! Besides, when in Rome........

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

CAB
Old 09-29-2013, 01:04 AM

Heh, all good points. That picture was from a Minnesota lake stocked with trout. That is what winter trout fishing looks like for those that don't take advantage of the streams. Thankfully many people enjoy ice fishing (not that there is anything wrong with that). Heck, I've spent my fair share of nights in ice houses. Satellite TV, fridge, microwaves, tapped kegs, etc. They're awesome. But I just have never been able to think of it as real fishing. Staring at a Vexilar to me is more like playing a video game. Sure, the first 10 bluegills are fun to watch come shooting up as a little red line, but after that it's just boring. The technology and creature comforts just take some of the "game" out of the chase. However, I've got no problem enjoying a few beverages and watching other people yank fish out of the holes. But when I want to actually fish I go to a stream.

I'd rather walk a mile or two up a small, secluded stream and have to worry about busting ice out of my guides while truly enjoying the outdoors than sit in someones loaded up ice shack watching Christian Ponder blow another game for the Vikings.
ontheflymn likes this.