The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: minnesota trout fishing

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone!! I'll be headed to Minneapolis about the 29th of October, Ill be tying flies till Jan 1 and then probably looking for someone to show me around. We are leaving a lot of our stuff out here in Colorado. What weight rods should I be bringing out there and what patterns should i start tying for the winter fishing?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

3-4wt
7'6-8'6

PTs
Simple thread body midges
Pink squirrels
Copper Johns
Brassies
Orange scuds
Black wooly buggers

I tie as small as 20 and feel confident in using big nymphs also during the winter months. They also help the tiny guys get down deep where the trout hold during winter months.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:40 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone!! I'll be headed to Minneapolis about the 29th of October, Ill be tying flies till Jan 1 and then probably looking for someone to show me around. We are leaving a lot of our stuff out here in Colorado. What weight rods should I be bringing out there and what patterns should i start tying for the winter fishing?
I prefer a shorter, heavier rod. Short (7'6") due to how tight some of the streams are, and heavier (5-wt) because the wind can blow pretty good down between the bluffs.

My Minnesota winter patterns:
  • Size 12 weighted scuds in all colors. Natural and orange are the most productive.
  • Size 22-24 black midge nymphs
  • Size 16-24 black midge dries
  • Size 6 olive wooly bugger
  • Size 12-18 black hare's ear nymphs
  • Size 12-16 black caddisfly dries.
  • Size 12-18 prince nymphs

90% of the time I'm using a weighted natural-colored scud with a size 22 midge nymph dropper. If you see rises, switch to the midge dry. The black hare's ear kinda looks like a black stonefly nymph, which hatch ubiquitously from rocky stream bottoms during the winter. The trout are pretty sluggish during the winter, so you practically have to bonk them on the nose with nymphs to get their interest.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 AM

A lot of the same patterns that i would be using here in the Vail Valley during the winter too. Thanks Guys. Ill do another post when I'm in town and see if anyone wants to rally and show me around. I'm younger(26) but I enjoy fishing with anyone.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
A lot of the same patterns that i would be using here in the Vail Valley during the winter too. Thanks Guys. Ill do another post when I'm in town and see if anyone wants to rally and show me around. I'm younger(26) but I enjoy fishing with anyone.

Yeah, it seems most of the time patterns used on our waters are fairly similar to those out west.

And I'm only 27. Itchmeister is an old guy though. I think he's like... 30?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 AM

ontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura aboutontheflymn has a spectacular aura about

The pattern suggestions you got are spot on. I basically fish with one fly box in the winter - winter patterns only. I would suggest longer leaders and fine tippets, too. 6X fluoro is a staple for me in the winter months. Most of the time I'm running a #14 scud with a #20 midge emerger off the back, even if there are not rising fish.

It sounds like it all trout streams will open up March 1, not Jan. 1.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
It sounds like it all trout streams will open up March 1, not Jan. 1.
What makes you say this?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

The new rule changes won't have gone into effect by this winters season. Rumors had circulated that the new regs would be good to go by the start of the winter C&R season, but that turned out to be false. So we're stuck with the same pointless regs for January as years past.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM

Oh sorry, I misread your post as "All streams will be closed until March 1st" instead of "not all streams will open January 1st"
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM

So wait!?! No trout fishing untill March 1st???