The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: minnesota trout fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
So wait!?! No trout fishing untill March 1st???
No. But we'll still be fishing pink lines. Only a handful of streams are legal to fish during winter c&r which starts jan 1st

March 1st starts "spring c&r" which opens all streams up.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Sorry, im kind of new the the whole seasons lingo. What are pink lines?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

The "old" list of streams that were open only from Jan. 1-March 30 are the ones you can still fish until they all open on March 1. The winter opener of 2015 will be when they will all be open.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

There are some very excellent streams on the 'pink line' list. And 75% get no pressure during winter season.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Click the image to open in full size.

The first attempts of the Pink Squirrel. Is that about right?
itchmesir and ontheflymn like this.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
There are some very excellent streams on the 'pink line' list. And 75% get no pressure during winter season.
This is correct. I rarely run into other anglers during winter c&r. And none to be found if there's any significant amount of snow on the ground. It's great. My favorite time of the year to be out. Even if some of those days start out -17℉
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 AM

I made it to Minnesota, even tied a few black stones already. I'm in the Savage area, so if anyone wants to tie some bugs or whatever let me know. I haven't gotten my fishing license yet but am ready to do so anytime. Is there anything urban to fish for that i can get my fixes with?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

Mix in some #14 scuds (yellow/orange) and some #18-22 midge emergers and larvae in black or olive, and you're good to go.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:01 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradocaddis970 View Post
I made it to Minnesota, even tied a few black stones already. I'm in the Savage area, so if anyone wants to tie some bugs or whatever let me know. I haven't gotten my fishing license yet but am ready to do so anytime. Is there anything urban to fish for that i can get my fixes with?

Head over to the Mississippi River (anywhere) and cast a line. There's a mixed bag of awesomeness waiting to be caught there. Probably pretty decent walleye fishing right now if I had to guess.

Or, if you're feeling up for a weekend road trip, head up to Monticello and fish for some smallies below the energy plant. I'm not sure what the water levels are like, but I have to imagine they'll be pretty low. The fishing should still be pretty good I would think.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM

tder is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the posts. I'm new to the relatively new to fly fishing and have enjoyed reading the info. about winter fishing. Can't wait to get out in January. I'm curious about Spring Creek near Red Wing,MN. Does anyone know if the fishing is decent there and if it is accessible to the public?