The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By fishiowa
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By milt spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 07:20 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Cabin Fever Break

Deer season is over and temps were forecast to be in the upper 30s so I tied a few of these in #16 and #20 before heading to the stream. Simple no name fly clear antron fiber tail, black antron dubbed body, split thread black collar and a tungsten bead. Let a bit of chartreuse thread show behind the bead for some color.

Click the image to open in full size.

Off to the local county park with all the necessities and ready to go.

A couple views of the stream. Water temp was about the same as the air temp at 38*. I should have known that all the melting ice would keep the water temps down.

A representative sample of the outcome that had to take one for the team and lie in the snow for the photo. All stocker rainbows today. The hits were very subtle. With the water temps where they were probably fortunate to have hits at all. I like to get the browns from this stream because they were stocked as fingerlings while the rainbows have probably only been there since October.

Found a snow free spot to rest my gear while I had a coffee break.

After the break I rounded the corner and came up on another angler working his way toward me. Decided that was as good a time as any to call it a day and headed back to the car. All in all a good break from the winter doldrums.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cabin Fever Break

Sweet looking day trip, congrats! We are still barely breaking 30 degrees on a good day, but the local streams are pretty much frozen over for the winter, any fishing will have to be below the nearest dam.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Gorgeous, looks like a fishy section of stream. I was up to Bloody on Friday with a friend and the fish were doing the same. Some were feeding on little midges but I couldn't get the to play along.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Had to chuckle looking at the photo's as a good friend was 'trying' to chase early winter Steelhead in 6-11 degree temps with a Skagit lined 2hander. You can guess how that worked out with all the needed line stripping.

fae
fishiowa likes this.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Never fished in the snow...great pics thanks for sharing
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great to see you are out tramping through the snow, I always fished through the winter in north central PA. Here it's a different story, I was just outside throwing the Frisbee for Boss without a coat on. It is really warming up and feels good out there. The temp is 20* and it feels warm. The only open water around here is about 34 miles away at a place called Eklutna Tailrace but I don't bother there anymore. Although the water is clear and ice free I've never caught a fish there and never seen one during winter. I've tried in the past and now that I'm talking about it I may go over there again At least I can cast if the air temps get above 32*.

I'm looking at 5 months before the ice will go off the rivers and creeks here but when it does it's like having Mr. Sulu put us into Warp Speed. For now I'll watch for you and others to post some reports where the water is flowing and the fish can be found.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-29-2013, 02:48 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the inspiration. 10 below in Iowa again tonight as you know. I think I will venture out again next time we get a few 20+ days in a row. Craigthor told me a lot of Swiss Valley at Dubuque froze over last week. Been awhile since we had a real winter.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Thanks for the inspiration. 10 below in Iowa again tonight as you know. I think I will venture out again next time we get a few 20+ days in a row. Craigthor told me a lot of Swiss Valley at Dubuque froze over last week. Been awhile since we had a real winter.
It's my fault... I asked for it. milt
craigthor likes this.