The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 AM

saucebox11 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing in ND

Hey guys I live in Minot and Im looking to get into fly fishing. Any of you out there in the area? Id like a little bit of help, maybe a fishing partner as I dont know anyone who fly fishes. I sent an email to the fly fishing club here but didnt get a response back.

Thank You
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing in ND

Im in Minot also and can point you in the right direction. Dakota fly fishers doesn't have much going on anymore. The club in Bismarck is more active. I have a drift boat and we float the Missouri regularly below Sak.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDflyfisher View Post
Im in Minot also and can point you in the right direction. Dakota fly fishers doesn't have much going on anymore. The club in Bismarck is more active. I have a drift boat and we float the Missouri regularly below Sak.
Hey that sounds like fun, I have a kayak that i would like to use a bit more myself. Im over seas right now but will be back at the end of April, maybe we can meet up. Id like to know what kind of gear I should buy for the area and such too.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM

NDflyfisher is on a distinguished road

PM me when your back. You will need a 6 or 8 wt rod, a sink tip 200 or 250grain line and a floating line. Get some of the biggest poppers you can for top water pike. Large Buggers and articulated flies for trout on the Missouri.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I've always heard that the walleye fishing is great in N. Dakota, so I'd give that a go. Here is a link to a great thread on this forum for walleye.
walleye fly fishing.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 AM

ok ndflyfisher i will, im actually pretty excited about this, and yes rockriver nd has excellent walleye fishing. thanks for the link