The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Upper Mid-U.S.

Upper Mid-U.S. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Wisconsin Early Season Opens Today

Any of you going to brave the weather for the opener? I've had it on my calendar since Sept. 30th but no way I'm going out today. Maybe by April 1st
Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 AM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wisconsin Early Season Opens Today

Ha. I'm in SE MN and our winter season has been open since Jan 1st. I've been out a couple times, but it's been a terrible season so far in terms of weather and I'm way, way behind my usual pace for time on the stream.

It doesn't look good for a while either. Single digit high temps in the forecast for most of the next week, around 2 feet of snow on ground with drifts even deeper, and many of the roads still packed with snow / ice. We've also had more stream reaches freeze over this year than I can ever remember.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I have never considered suicide before. So I will not be partaking in the opener.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:42 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Wedding today but still wouldn't fish it.

Our 10 day doesn't look very good either.

It's gonna break soon, just keep telling myself that
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM

ontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the roughontheflymn is a jewel in the rough

I worry that when it breaks, it's really gonna roll. Feet of snow and six foot frost depths doesn't bode well if the weather gets too warm too fast.

I hope I'm wrong.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

This winter season has definitely turned me into a fair weather fishermen... But temps are looking to rise by Thursday... I'll probably head out... I'm not happy to be so far behind on my fishing days quota
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Long range forecast, accuweather anyways, shows a steady but gradual increase in temps after this next few days. I'm hoping so, will be June before all the frost comes out at this rate. -10 by my thermometer with -20 wind chills.
As the days get longer it HAS to start warming up.......doesn't it??

Sent from my iPhone
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
I worry that when it breaks, it's really gonna roll. Feet of snow and six foot frost depths doesn't bode well if the weather gets too warm too fast.

I hope I'm wrong.

From what I've heard, the Army Corps of Engineers on the river are really concerned about water levels right now. Rumors have it that the flooding will be the worst we've experienced in quite some time due to snow amounts and the deep frost.

I hope they're wrong too though.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by ted4887; 03-02-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

They say Lake Pepin ice is 3' thick in some spots... Snow packs ranging from 30"-46"+... Not gonna be a good spring... Looks like FEMA will get to f more people over again.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

37 People Who Failed So Spectacularly They Almost Won
mcnerney, BigJim2x and wjl like this.